 LEGO Company / 1768
Re: Top secret project - we need your help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 19:56:10 GMT

My Cool Idea:

It would be nice if you made a bag of random minifig parts. Each pack could
contain 10 heads, 10 torso assemblies, 10 leg assemblies, 10 headgears, 5
neckwear/bodywear, and 15 weapons/shields/utensils and then sell it for
$10 on S@H with the bulk bag discount applying.

You could make some heads and torsos rarer than others. Like an easy to
get head or torso might appear once in every 5 bags, while a hard to get
head or torso might appear once in every 20 bags. As long as most of the
head and torso printings were pretty general, people would find a use for
most of the parts and trade or sell the rest. There could even be a few
new torso, head, and shield printings made specifically for this pack.

I think people would buy these by the dozens.

In lugnet.lego, Aaron Muhl wrote:
This is a GREAT idea!  Lego could put mass quantities of "standard torsos"
in, and every once in a while mix in something really rare like a forest
maiden or something.  This is how collectable card companies sell their
products.  Lego could do the same.  You also don't have to be limited to
minifig packs....

Imagine a door/window/roof pack that would every once in a while contain
hard to find slopes, doors or windows!

Thank you. The collectible card game industry is where I came up with that idea,
and I get excited every time I think about it. However, I think this idea is
only good for minifigs. TLC should just make assortments of slopes and doors,
they shouldn't be hard to get.

Anyway, to expand upon my idea further:

One of these packs could be set up like this:
6 common torsos and heads
3 uncommon torsos and heads
1 rare torso and head

The entire pool of parts could be:
30 common torsos and heads
30 uncommon torsos and heads
30 rare torsos and heads

Things people want lots of like storm troopers and standard castle infantry
should be common. Unique and hard to get figs (princess leia, princess storm,
the king, darth vader, the admiral, captain red beard, dark forest torsos, etc)
should be rare. Things people want in multiples, but not in really large
quantities like firemen, police, classic space guys, and castle peasants would
work well as uncommon.

By providing so many different torsos and heads, people could make all of their
minifigs look different. Imagine having an army of 50 black falcon figures, each
of which has a different face. That would be cool.

Legs don't need varying degrees of rarity, they just need different colors, and
different colored legs should all be available equally.

Every couple years, the parts available in these packs could be rotated. Take
some stuff out, put some new stuff in, and mark the package differently.

Just wishful thinking.