 LEGO Company / 1722
Re: Top secret project - we need your help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 19:47:07 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   we would like to have your feedback on what parts you would most like to see in bulk form.

Sounds simple enough, but I need a context to answer the question in. Am I to reply with my most important 20 bricks by my typical volume? Or with the 20 bricks on my “most wanted” list that changes from week to week (i.e., bricks I really need, but not necessarily a lot of)?

Put another way, I would put 100 1x8 chrome tiles ahead of 5000 2x4 white bricks, but long term I would NEED the white bricks a lot more. The problem is that demand is fueled by scarcity as much as by consumption.

And given that 2x4 white bricks by the 1000s are more important to me, volume wise, than 1x8 chrome tiles, I would buy the tiles at lego.com prices but not the bricks because the tiles would have no other source and, even if they did, thet would be more expensive elsewhere because of scarcity, whereas the 2x4s at $0.14 (current price in bags of 25) are cheaper via other venues (principally BrickLink).

Or is the operative word in your question “bulk”, meaning more than just 25 or 100 at a time? If you are asking what I would like to be able to buy by the 1000s at BrickLink competitive prices that would be readily available for years to come, that would steer me in a direction different from my top 20 needs because-I-can’t-get-them.

Jake?

-Ted