 LEGO Company / 1759
Re: Top secret project - we need your help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 14:29:50 GMT

"Christian Treczoks" <ct@braehler.com> wrote in message
Tim David wrote:
The site seems to be down at the moment, and so does the link for bug • reporting!
As the site is running IIS, it's propably windowsing again...

Yours, Christian

Okay - sorry, but I can't leave that one unanswered.
The server was down as I was upgrading the memory to something that more
resembles a web server. This is now done and hopefully the site should
behave a lot better.
The problems we had with the PaBTrak survey were due entirely to the fact
that the server that PaBTrak is running on is quite old, underpowered and up
until a few minutes ago had an unrealistic amount of memory in it - it is
NOTHING to do with the fact that it is running windows and IIS. The same
problems would have happened if it had been running Linux, Apache, PhP,
coldfusion or anything else.
Because I don't charge users for PaBTrak, BrikTrak and all other stuff I
build, I have to fund my own hardware and so the stuff doesn't run on the
latest servers. I am lucky in that I can use my companys datacenter for
bandwidth free of charge, but the hardware is up to me to buy. The problems
with the website were entirely hardware related not software. Hopefully the
extra memory I have installed will help, but I am about to order a brand new
server to assist with future stuff.

I don't want to start a platform/OS war here on Lugnet, but I get sick to
death of uninformed people trying to tell me that windows/IIS doesn't
scale - it does and it does it well, providing you do it right. Believe me,
I know as part of my real job involves doing just that.
I once had a senior IBM consultant who was working for one of our vendors
tell me the same thing - Windows doesn't scale. We brought him in and some
representatives to see our company and what we are doing and they literally
left open mouthed. Needless to say that a few days later, I got a written
apology from him admitting that he was wrong. The vendor now relies less on
expensive IBM consultants and uses more Windows based systems. I'm in no way
trying to say that Windows (or any other platform) is better than any
other - they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Richard - jumping in a telephone box to change back in to the mild mannered
person he usually is!