 General / 5287
Re: Parts Database (Was: Idea: ... Lego piece naming convention?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:11:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tore Eriksson writes:
So far, I've only used LDraw's partlist and Lutz's, but I must say Steve's
looks very promising.

When it comes to Lego databases, there is an infinite amount of data we all
wish to enter or seek on. Here's my two ideas to make Mission Impossible a
little more complicated:

Would it be possible to make a web based database open for everyone to get
information from but with different levels of write access for trustees?

I have started on a database for my parts. (Who hasn't?) I got this odd idea,
but yet I think it's useful: Entering stud count for every part! (I mean stud
or stud2[a] types). It's not always you can determine what theme or category a
part belongs to, but you can always count the studs on it and suddenly you
have eliminated many hundred parts from the search.

/Tore

Hi all

A standard naming convention is defenetively a must, weither Ldraw or Aucxilla
or what ever it is,

my self, I build a db for part inventory giving my own Part Number, Description
and it is confusing with all the part auction around.

In a few weeks(months ?) when I will upgrade my home cumputer I might be able
to host a web site for the database( would need some work to make it compatible
with LDraw) or if someone else do it by that time, it would be great to have a
place to find in wich kit that part can be found and also to have a link with
the part image database.

and finally yes, IMO, it would be great to have a group to discuss new part
name and number somewhere in Lugnet.

Martin