 Administrative / Database / 323
Re: Idea: How starting to work for a unique Lego piece naming convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:24:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, John VanZwieten writes:

The problem is that there are different needs for different applications using
piece names.  LDraw piece categories and sorting are based on the name, which
is why we have some rather tortured names--which wouldn't serve very well for
auctions, etc.

At the same time, if there were voting on standard names, and LDraw names
lost, does that mean LDraw names would be changed?  The result to our
categories and sorting could be very bad.

Perhaps, though, separate LDraw and auction names could be chosen which are
obvious derivatives of each other.

-John Van

To start with the second point you mention: I don't think anyone should be
obliged to used the `standard' nomenclature. As you say, for different
applications the best name to use can vary for a piece. Even, if one wants to
call a 1x1 brick a 0.7cm x 0.7cm x 0.9cm brick, it is fine with me, but it
makes it much harder to see what piece is meant. In general, the normal bricks
like the 1x1 are not a problem but some pieces like the macaroni brick, which
is listed somewhere as 2x2 rounded brick, are.

Therefore I think it would be nice if as many people as possible would use the
`standard' nomenclature. Maybe it is possible to use the same names for the
pieces in Ldraw as are at the moment used, but connected to the 'standard'
nomenclature (So you get something like: 2x2 rounded brick (macaroni) ).
However, it will take a lot of time before there is a 'standard' nomenclature,
if there will be one at all. At least a Lexikon like Gary suggested comes in
handy when you have to find a certain piece. This would already be much work
since hundreds of elements have to be compared from various sources.

I can try to make a start, but as I am very busy, it will take some time before
I am finished. A set-up could look like this.
A devision like is used in Auczilla:
- bricks
- plates
- figures, animals and plants
- windows, doors and fence
etc,

For piece in the Lexikon the following information can be present:
LDraw piece number, LDraw description, Auczilla description, Set inventory
description, other descriptions, link to picture of piece.

Greetings,

Sybrand Bonsma