 Administrative / Database / 347
346  |  348
Subject:
The Bricktionary project (Was: Idea: How starting ... Lego piece naming convention?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:36:17 GMT

Hello everybody,

In an earlier post in this thread I stated that I would start to make a list
containing the various names for each LEGO part. As many parts have different
names in different auctions, programms and inventories it is sometimes hard to
find pieces. A list that contains all parts and the different names that are
given to them would be helpful. It might also be good to obtain a preferred
name for each part, although different purposes make it difficult to come to a
standard name. It might also be possible to work to a systematic naming scheme,
so it is relative easy to find the part in the list using some standard rules.
Jim Hughes has strated a thread about this on:
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/database/?n=340
In the future this might be combined with the set inventories, so for each part
there would be a page containing various names, a picture of the part and in
which sets they came and in which color.

The total project will take a lot of time, but we can already start by making a
list with the different names for as many parts as possible. Todd Lehman has
given me some hints about ideas of other peoples and what is already done, etc
and in one of his posts he mentioned that it might be nice to call it 'The
Bricktionary'. I like that name and therefore, I have called this project the
same way.

The planning for this project is as follows:
1. Get as many information as possible regarding preferred nomenclature of the
pieces. For this purpose it would be helpful if there was a newsgroup in which
this can be discussed. First, previous posts regarding this topic should be
found and read.

2. Get many names for pieces that are already in use. To start, the parts lists
of LDraw, Auczilla and the set inventory of Tim Vattima will give already a lot
of
names.

3. Compare the names of the different databases. A start here might be to find
the counterparts of LDraw parts in other programms/auctions. Because LDraw
uses part numbers, the list of pieces can be split up among various people
easily.

4. Make an overview list of the used names. A proposed format is:
LDraw number; LDraw name; Auczilla name; TV inventory name; other name(s)
This owuld already be a good start for the Bricktionary.

5. Adding images or links to images to the overview list and make it a real
searchable database.

6. Hold votings to obtain the preferred names for pieces that have different
names in the different programms or places.

7. Connect the Bricktionary to multiple inventories, so you can find in which
sets the pieces appear(ed).

Currently I have already downloaded list with parts names from LDraw, AucZILLA
and Tim Vattima`s set inventory and I am now deviding the information into
small sections, so many people can help, because it is too much work to do
alone. Each section consists of about 50 parts names from Tim Vattima's
inventory or from Auczilla, which should be compared to the LDraw pieces. If
the pieces have been identified, the information is send beack together with
the LDraw numbers and I can put it into a list.