 Administrative / Database / 348
Re: The Bricktionary project (Was: Idea: How starting ... Lego piece naming convention?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:00:08 GMT

2. Get many names for pieces that are already in use. To start, the parts • lists
of LDraw, Auczilla and the set inventory of Tim Vattima will give already a • lot
of
names.

Two other resources come to mind:
Lutz Uhlmann's Parts Reference at:
http://titan.informatik.uni-bonn.de/~uhlmann/partlst.html
Technica reference of technic parts at:
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/t_contents.html

Both of these cover lots of parts not done in LDraw, and the Technica pages
even have images of parts not LDrawn.

3. Compare the names of the different databases. A start here might be to • find
the counterparts of LDraw parts in other programms/auctions. Because LDraw
uses part numbers, the list of pieces can be split up among various people
easily.

4. Make an overview list of the used names. A proposed format is:
LDraw number; LDraw name; Auczilla name; TV inventory name; other name(s)
This owuld already be a good start for the Bricktionary.

5. Adding images or links to images to the overview list and make it a real
searchable database.

Ideal would be both an LDrawn image and a scanned or POV-Ray image.

-John Van