 Administrative / Database / 362
Re: Newsgroup for this (was Re: The Bricktionary project)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:44:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Steve Bliss writes:
[...]
I wouldn't quite put it beneath lugnet.db.inv because inventories are
just one possible application of parts names.

And it's not actually part names, but a parts identification database,
right?

Right.  Identification and reference and browsing and all that.  Massively
cross-referenced within itself and to/from set inventories, MOC's, and the
marketplace.  So it's really a sub-database of the larger database.  The
"Brictionary" part is the entry-way into the name-to-part interface on top
of it.  A couple examples of a super-crude one-aspect throwaway-prototype
for arbitrary-depth keyword associations:

   http://www.lugnet.com/dbtoys/elementsearch/?=radar-dish
   http://www.lugnet.com/dbtoys/elementsearch/?=foliage
   http://www.lugnet.com/dbtoys/elementsearch/?=gun
   etc.

Fixed keywords aren't the best way to organize attributes and affinities,
because a user has to know the keywords ahead of time, but keywords can
be good for mapping to and through other keywords various ways, and they're
good as an underlying structure upon which fuzzy matching can be added.
They're also great for making browseable categories.

I won't be able to participate closely in this new newsgroup for a while
because I have to get other stuff ready (memberships, etc.) which form the
infrastructure upon which these types of things can be web-orchestrated.
So the LUGNET database of parts, etc., is a second- or third-level priority
for me right now, but there's no reason not to give it a special focused
discussion group today if people are aching to talk about this sort of thing.

Having standard/prefered names is good, but it's the pictures
(and maybe schematics) that actually identify the part.

Amen to that!  :-)

--Todd