 CAD / Development / 2260
2259  |  2261
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Parts Database (Was: Idea: ... Lego piece naming convention?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:43:25 GMT

Ah, yet another promising database variant! This is great, and fast! I only
see one problem with it is it only includes official LDraw elements. Isn't
there any way we could make .DAT files for not yet rendered parts, too? Just
for database purposes? The first idea that comes to me is to store them in the

\Parts directory. That would be good in one way: when the is rendered, the
file will automatically be replaced. But, of course,
there are many drawbacks. Anyone got a better suggestion?

I feel more and more for a Total Update of all the \Parts directory. This
could take all the summer vacations we have, and make some terrible threads
everywhere in Lugnet.

I mean, we could add CATEGORY and KEYWORDS lines for all

Why not add some new meta-commands?
Either:
0 DEAFULTS COLOUR=15 ZOOM=150 (or 1.5)
Or, maybe better::
0 DEFAULT COLOUR 15
0 DEFAULT ZOOM 1.5
Of course, this would only apply in databases where no other values are set.
In fact, most parts of the database could be hosted in the parts' .DAT files -

RING inner outer [segms totalsegms*] color x y z  a b c  d e f  g h i

*) segms totalsegms, default is 16 16 (what you get from 4-4*.dat)

Oh, and one more metacommand suggestion:

* The one reason is I want to make a generic RING command for LDS.

* The other is for other rendering programs and perifer utilities, like
LDLite, LDrawII,
L3P, and...? IF DEFINED - ELSE - ENDIF

This should not make authoring more complicated, as it may look like. Programs

like LDS
will automatically generate the alternative commands and programs that don't
support a
keyword will just pick the standard LDraw commands.

I think the simple example below explains itself. I don't want any start- and
endangle.
It's easier - at least for me - to think the way the system of 1-4*.dat
3-8*.dat and so
on is constructed.

Is this something that could set a standard, something you programmers could
think of
supporting? Or is a standard for similar cases already set?

Syntax:
RING inner outer [segms totalsegms*] color x y z  a b c  d e f  g h i

*) segms totalsegms, default is 16 16 (what you get from 4-4*.dat)

Example:
0 IF DEFINED RING
0 RING 6 10  16  100 24 40  1 0 0  0 0 1  0 18 0
0 ELSE
1 16  100 24 40  2 0 0  0 0 2  0 0 0  ring3.dat
1 16  100 24 40  2 0 0  0 0 2  0 0 0  ring4.dat
1 16  100 24 40  6 0 0  0 0 6  0 18 0  4-4cyli.dat
1 16  100 24 40  10 0 0  0 0 10  0 18 0  4-4cyli.dat
1 16  100 24 58  2 0 0  0 0 2  0 0 0  ring3.dat
1 16  100 24 58  2 0 0  0 0 2  0 0 0  ring4.dat
0 ENDIF

</Brainstorm mode>

/Tore

Anders Isaksson wrote:

Don't forget LDLIST, http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ldlist.zip
It can search the LDRAW parts on any text in the description, CATEGORY and
KEYWORDS, and show a picture of the parts found.
(And I can modify it if needed)