 CAD / Development / 2249
Re: Idea: How starting to work for a unique Lego piece naming convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:45:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Robert Munafo writes:
It would be bad to put each image on a seperate web page.

Correction:  it would be bad to put each image *only* on a separate web page.
Right?

It really needs both (or multiple) types of displays.

Here are a couple of crude, semi-working examples...

* One piece:
  http://www.lugnet.com/ldraw/parts/?c=7&n=3004

* A bunch of pieces in a numeric range:
  http://www.lugnet.com/ldraw/parts/?c=7&n1=3000&n2=3009

* A bazillion pieces:
  http://www.lugnet.com/ldraw/parts/?c=7&n1=0&n2=99999

Right now I depend on
printed parts catalogs, and having all the images on one page allows me
to print them out quickly. If the parts were each on their own page it
would make the site almost useless as a catalog.

Not at all.  In fact, if none of the images were ever on their own page, then
that would also make the resource almost useless.  People often want to be
able to point to a single image of a piece when they're talking about it.

There really needs to be multiple types of displays.

Even if you aren't printing, think how much work it would be to
click-click-click through all the images on the site.

The single-element-on-a-page view is best for when someone points you there
to a specific piece.  A catalog view should show lots of pieces on a single
page, with varying ways to collate them.

Of course, I'm not opposed to adding additional pages so that people can
access the data in different ways. Just make sure you don't eliminate the
format we have now.

Ahh, I should've read this first before writing the above...  :)

--Todd