 General / 5289
Re: Parts Database (Was: Idea: ... Lego piece naming convention?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:49:47 GMT

At 04:38 PM 7/6/99 , Tore Eriksson wrote:
So far, I've only used LDraw's partlist and Lutz's, but I must say Steve's
looks very promising.

When it comes to Lego databases, there is an infinite amount of data we all
wish to enter or seek on. Here's my two ideas to make Mission Impossible a
little more complicated:

Would it be possible to make a web based database open for everyone to get
information from but with different levels of write access for trustees?

I have started on a database for my parts. (Who hasn't?) I got this odd idea,
but yet I think it's useful: Entering stud count for every part! (I mean stud
or stud2[a] types). It's not always you can determine what theme or category a
part belongs to, but you can always count the studs on it and suddenly you
have eliminated many hundred parts from the search.

EXCELLENT IDEA, Tore!  Having that searchable would help a lot.  Though it
seems an odd characteristic to include, and no one would permanently
categorize a piece by number of studs ('cept bricks, plates, and tiles), it
is very helpful in narrowing down to find a piece.

But the idea of the piece naming convention could come in handy.  If there
was an across-the-board naming system for auctions, databases, references,
and LDraw/cad software, then people could look at the main parts database
and find a part for any of these applications and know it would work.

For example, someone could search for a part and find its part number
online, go to LDraw and key in the number and know they would get the same
part.  While the VEC is useful, sometimes people don't always think in its
(or LDraw's) set categories.  Searchable and uniform are good...

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

If someone tells you you're worth your weight in gold, fatten up.