 General / 5288
Re: Singing, dancing Lego Flower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 01:29:03 GMT

Mookie <Mookie@execpc.com> wrote:

Adam, that is an awesome construction!!! I can't wait to see an mpeg of
it in motion! Just out of curiosity, what did everyone at work say about
the lego? or did most of them already know you liked to play with it?

Thanks!  The folks at work didn't really know about my "lego habit" so
they were surprised to find that AFOLs exist.  They were, however all
the more impressed by the whole thing, since their LEGO world-view
consisted of basic bricks and slopes of their childhood (virtually
everyone here is a good deal older than I), most having never seen
Technic, much less Mindstorms!
Since we're mostly Electrical and Computer Engineers, everyone was
intrigued by the RCX, since I included a brief summary of its
capabilities and a listing of my NQC source code.

does the yellow center open and close? or just the outer "leaves"?

The flower doesn't open and close at all (yet).  Originally I'd
intended to use the light sensor for it to open when the "sun" (a
flashlight) shone on it, but given the time constraints until the
contest (less than a week from the time I found out about it) and the
fact that I didn't purchase the Mindstorms RIS until two days before
the contest date, that proved overly ambitious.   Now that I have the
space shuttle (8040) I may use the micromotor to make the flower open
and close.

Also your lighting looks just fine on the pictures.

Thanks, but that's due to _a lot_ of futzing in an image manipulation
program to get the images to look even tolerable.  Good lighting in
the first place might make the shots look decent right out of the
camera.

Did you use the
flash on the Mavica? I've got one of the older ones, not mpeg capable,
which I haven't played much with.  I'm still using my old Casio QV120..
it's much easier to carry around!

Yes, on all the shots but the gear closeup.  I didn't like the way the
flash reflected off nearly every smooth Lego surface, so I tried a
bunch of shots with no flash, but those looked so grainy and dark that
I couldn't do much with them.  Since I've had the Mavica for less than
a week, I haven't pushed it's limits, but I love it already.  The big
zoom (14x) has been _great_ for taking candids of kids (my fav
subject), since you can fill the frame with their face from 20+ feet
away.  I've found that little ones are much less likely to "ham" for
the camera if you aren't right in their face (well, adults too, I
guess)

Keep the good ideas rolling!
Tamy

Adam Payne wrote:

After reading the threads on digital photography I ran out and bought
a digital camera (Sony Mavica FD91 lest anyone care), and snapped off
a few quick shots this morning of my singing, dancing Lego flower:
Lego LaFleur.  Once I've created an adequate lighting system, I'll put
up a movie of LaFleur shakng his little flower booty, but for now the
stills, though dark, give an adequate sense of what the model's all
about.

I think this was the first time I've built anything for a contest
(though it wasn't a Lego contest per se), but it did win me a bunch of
(non ABS) flowers!

Take a look, if you'd like, at:
http://underworld.fortunecity.com/adventure/172/lego/flower/

Adam