 Administrative / Database / 320
Re: Idea: How starting to work for a unique Lego piece naming convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:49:28 GMT

Sybrand Bonsma wrote:

In lugnet.admin.database, Selçuk Göre writes:
Actually subject line says all. How about making a move about it? Many
efforts ongoing around the community requires this. The first examples that
come to mind are piece auctions, set inventory database and Lego CAD
studies. We have already several half-agreed standards, like Ldraw lib and
Auczilla names, but isn't there a real and (starting to be) urgent need for
a universal naming convention?

What 's your opinions?

I think this is a good idea. If such database is hosted on Lugnet, or a clear
link to another place everybody can use the same names when they want to
auction/buy/sell/trade pieces. If there are pictures shown of the pieces it
would even be better.
I know there is a database of the pieces in LDraw together with pictures, maybe
this could be used for this purpose also.

Personal opinions: start with comparing the nomenclature that is used in LDraw,
Auczilla and the set inventories here on LUGNET. When pieces are named
identical in all three systems this should be adapted, otherwise there should
be a voting.

Greetings,

Sybrand Bonsma
Unofficial Fabuland Homepage:
http://members.tripod.com/~Sybrand_Bonsma/fabu1eng.html

That's an excellent idea.

For a lot of basic bricks, plates, tiles, etc, we seem to do OK.  But other areas
we seem to have trouble with the piece names.  One area in particular that I've
seen some problems are sloped brick peaks or apex bricks.  Let's start there.  Do
we call them peaks or apex bricks.  Then there is the 1/2 pyramid piece, which I
have also heard called the "gable end".  And then there is the 2x2 peak with what
looks like a bite taken out of it.  I've heard it called the gable connector, among
other things.  A common name for some of these would be great.  Ditto for a lot of
round(ed) bricks, etc.

Maybe a piece Lexicon/Glossary would make a great addition to LUGNET.

Let's clear up the nomenclature!

Gary Istok