 Administrative / Database / 365
Re: The Lepanadat project (Was: Idea: How starting ... Lego piece naming convention?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:19:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Todd Lehman writes:

in <http://www.lugnet.com/admin/database/?n=326> I was referring specifically
to the ongoing work on the LUGNET and AucZILLA parts databases.  In other
words, the name "Brictionary" (or "Bricktionary") wasn't being tossed out
as something up for grabs.  It's something I thought of many many moons ago,
and something I hold dear to my heart, and part of the only reason I
mentioned the name on this thread was to establish priority with respect to
the name, in case someone else were to independently think of it and believe
that it was their idea first.

Sybrand, I applaud your efforts and enthusiasm, and I don't want to derail
you in any way, but I really didn't mean for the name "Brictionary" (or
"Bricktionary") to be used anywhere else except in connection with the
onsite LUGNET parts database.  Last November, I registered brickwise.com
as a precautionary measure because the name "BrickWise" or "Brickwise"
is likely to be used someday in connection with LUGNET as a buyer's help
guide or somesuch -- maybe as a sub-area or a separate sub-site.  I never
thought it was really necessary to register brictionary.com because it
seemed a lot less likely to be thought up independently by someone.  (I
just registered it now, though.)

--Todd

Yes, there was a misunderstanding. I thought that you mentioned the name for
this project, which you appearently did not. My goal has been changed slightly,
from a name database to a searchable database with the different names that are
used for parts, pictures of the parts and in which sets the parts appear. (You
could say something similar to the current set inventory of Tim Vattima, but
with pictures of parts and easier searchable). The parts name database is just
a first step to this searchable database and the best place to have this
database is of course on LUGNET. At the moment I work on another server,
because I don't have access to put things on the LUGNET server and I can try
some things first with searchable databases.
For now I will rename the project, so the name 'bricktionary' can be used by
you later. The new name I come up with (Hope this one isn't occupied yet) is:
Lepanadat (LEgo PArts NAmes DAtabase)
The website has chnaged accordingly to:
http://members.tripod.com/~Sybrand_Bonsma/lepanadat/lepanadat.html
The old address will however still be valid for some time, for people who read
the previous posts first.
I think the name of the discussion group shouldn't be changed as those
discussions will be used for the real Brictionary and also for Lepanadat.

Hope this is better,

Sybrand Bonsma