 CAD / Development / 2267
Re: Parts Database (Was: Idea: ... Lego piece naming convention?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:29:18 GMT

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:43:25 GMT, Tore Eriksson
<tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> wrote:

Isn't
there any way we could make .DAT files for not yet rendered parts, too? Just
for database purposes? The first idea that comes to me is to store them in the
\Parts directory. That would be good in one way: when the [part] is rendered, the
file will automatically be replaced. But, of course,
there are many drawbacks. Anyone got a better suggestion?

Creating shell .DAT files is a simple way to record information for parts
which haven't been created for LDraw.  I wouldn't include these shell files
in the L-CAD parts updates, but they would be useful for building a
parts-base.

I feel more and more for a Total Update of all the \Parts directory. This
could take all the summer vacations we have, and make some terrible threads
everywhere in Lugnet.

I mean, we could add CATEGORY and KEYWORDS lines for all

That would be awesome.  And insert all those missing "Author: James
Jessiman" credits.

Why not add some new meta-commands?
Either:
0 DEAFULTS COLOUR=15 ZOOM=150 (or 1.5)
Or, maybe better::
0 DEFAULT COLOUR 15
0 DEFAULT ZOOM 1.5
Of course, this would only apply in databases where no other values are set.

In <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=2189>, Sproaticus outlined an idea for
a meta-command similar to your DEFAULT idea.  I think I prefer his approach
of carrying over the syntax from the command-line options.  It's still a
good idea.

In fact, most parts of the database could be hosted in the parts' .DAT files -

It could be, but how much data do we want to insert into the multitude of
part files?  Especially if the information isn't useful in LDraw-related
tools.  It would make more sense to have a single storage location for this
information.

(I snipped the rest of Tore's message, it looks like he had a formatting
accident on the info-highway ;)

Steve