 FAQ / 75
Re: Format of FAQ items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:41:24 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Another possible feature would be to allow a master file to explicitly
include a subordinate file during parsing; this would greatly facilitate
separation of other FAQs, such as the LDraw FAQ.
Something analogous to #include in C then?  Would that slurp in an entire
sub-FAQ?  Or only relevant starter-questions?  At the root level, someone
probably only wants to read "What is this LDraw thing?" and be able to click
deeper to see all the rest of the stuff, but probably not see all 35 FAQ
questions at the top level...?

Let me expand on this.  It all depends on how it's converted into readable
form.

A one-file FAQ would certainly slurp everything in.  An HTML conversion
might take just the question titles to put up on the first page.  Or maybe
just the section's title.  But using an include tag gives us that
flexability.

I also intended for the possibility of an included file to contain no text,
just tags, a la cascading style sheets.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."

obconspiracy:  NASA wants to gyre and gimble in the wabe.