 FAQ / 205
Re: Progress so far, and a new header
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 22:43:42 GMT

In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
[...]
How about just copying the "X-Ref:" header char for char?

Independent of the other issue, about representing arbitrarily URLs as Jacob
suggested, yes, copying the X-Ref header char for char (anything to the
right of the 'X-Ref:' part) is perfectly safe for this purpose.

In general, the closer these FAQ entries can get to NNTP articles, the
greater the possibilities for enhanced integration with followup commentary.

But they're not NNTP articles.

Right now they're not -- but why should we close doors to such a possibility
in the future, if not for actual storage in a special group, at least for
mirroring in a special group with crossposted to the appropriate group(s)?

(This is why I suggested 'Subject' for the header name rather than 'Topic'
or 'Question'...heehee)

Directly responding to a FAQ item via NNTP
is cumbersome, 'cause there's no point in a thread to respond to.

This is an interesting feature to have, though -- to respond to a FAQ item
and start a discussion around it.  It would almost have to be in the Web
interface.

Yup, that's the basic idea!  Here's something related:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:1225

Someone responding to the FAQ as posted via NNTP can just cut
the extra stuff out (or risk being flamed for a 15,000-line "me to"
message).  No one can really automatically respond to the FAQ in print.

Or, if each FAQ entry is a separate article (probably not the master copy,
but a "commentable on" copy of it), then there's no mess (it's just a bit
harder to find something without the web FAQ interface).

Would it be feasable in the Web interface (at some time in the future) to
have a "Comments" button on the FAQ items, which would bring up the NNTP
post page, with the FAQ item already quoted in the text box?

Absolutely -- in fact, that's a larger goal for all objects in the system --
sets, pieces, MOCs, catalogs, FAQ entries, off-site links, even people.

NNTP news articles is how the public half of the "Annotations" bubble here

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/3a.html

is ending up (for now*).

As more off-site links are added/folded in, these'll most likely be going
into the system as NNTP news articles, probably to a special group and
probably crossposted with one or more topical groups.  Then there'll be a
little list with each group that tracks which articles are links (so it can
ignore everything else when displaying the links).  This'll allow arbitrary
commentary on any link, including arbitrary followups (which is the real
winning feature of it).  Messages people post write themselves for their
personal pages can be effected this way as well, and a freebie from that is
a public guestbook (threaded, no less :).  And then there are some other
wicked cool things that can be done to increase the collaboritive nature of
the resources, but that's getting beyond the scope of this thread and I'll
have to scribble that down later in a separate message.

--Todd

* In 2-3 years it may change if the limits of NNTP are reached.