 FAQ / 193
Re: Progress so far, and a new header
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 15:26:20 GMT

In lugnet.faq, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:
Jeremy:
Would the "Xref:" header embedded into the LUGNET nntp messages work for a
reference?  e.g.:

in the nntp message translates into:

  Reference: lugnet.faq:186

Ahh, good idea.  The URLs for the articles are less stable than the Xref
lines are.  For example, when the new web-interface/hierarchy is moved into
place, shortly after that will come a remapping of all the article URLs (but
the old ones will still work for backward compatibility).

No. We should use full URL's, so we can refer to data
outside Lugnet too.

Yeah...this is pretty important too.  And although most things worth FAQing
will have been posted about and have an external URL in the post, it's
possible that some thing won't...

BTW, there could be a pair of mutually exclusive (or overlapping) headers

   Reference-URL:

and

   Reference:

or something like that to avoid having to construct the full unwieldy
article URLs by hand each time.  Or calling the header 'References:' instead
of 'Reference:' and exactly mimicking the NNTP header 'References:' is
another interesting possibility...

In general, the closer these FAQ entries can get to NNTP articles, the
greater the possibilities for enhanced integration with followup commentary.

--Todd