 FAQ / 195
Re: Progress so far, and a new header
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 15:28:43 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Ahh, good idea.  The URLs for the articles are less stable than the Xref
lines are.

I was afraid of that.  :-,

In lugnet.faq, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:
No. We should use full URL's, so we can refer to data
outside Lugnet too.
Yeah...this is pretty important too.  And although most things worth FAQing
will have been posted about and have an external URL in the post, it's
possible that some thing won't...

I'm prone to just go with the simpler form, copying the X-Ref header, for
several reasons:

a)  I don't have to enter the Web interface and search for messages to find
the URL,

b)  The URL can be automagically generated using the X-Ref header data.

BTW, there could be a pair of mutually exclusive (or overlapping) headers
   Reference-URL:

OK, good for true URLS,

   Reference:

How about just copying the "X-Ref:" header char for char?

or something like that to avoid having to construct the full unwieldy
article URLs by hand each time.  Or calling the header 'References:' instead
of 'Reference:' and exactly mimicking the NNTP header 'References:' is
another interesting possibility...
In general, the closer these FAQ entries can get to NNTP articles, the
greater the possibilities for enhanced integration with followup commentary.

But they're not NNTP articles.  Directly responding to a FAQ item via NNTP
is cumbersome, 'cause there's no point in a thread to respond to.

This is an interesting feature to have, though -- to respond to a FAQ item
and start a discussion around it.  It would almost have to be in the Web
interface.  Someone responding to the FAQ as posted via NNTP can just cut
the extra stuff out (or risk being flamed for a 15,000-line "me to"
message).  No one can really automatically respond to the FAQ in print.

Would it be feasable in the Web interface (at some time in the future) to
have a "Comments" button on the FAQ items, which would bring up the NNTP
post page, with the FAQ item already quoted in the text box?

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."