 FAQ / 194
193  |  195
Subject:
Tags
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 16:08:39 GMT

In lugnet.faq, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:
Eeek -- not 4.0 -- probably not even 3.2 -- way unnecessarily complicated.

Sorry. You are right.

Allowed elements: P A DL DT DD UL OL LI CODE STRONG EM PRE

That sounds like a pretty good list.  Also need:

- <I> and <B>,

- <TT> and possibly <VAR> for things like command lines, program names, and
  newsgroup names,

- <BR> for breaking closely-spaced runs of lines like command line
  sequences,

- possibly <U> and <S> for scientific or legal passages and bibliographies,
  book references, etc. (but only if they're really necessary),

- and probably <BLOCKQUOTE>,

- and a convention that tags be written in either uppercase or mixed-case.

And I say let's banish (or deprecate) <STRONG> and <EM> from this, for not
only are they excessively cumbersome compared to <B> and <I>, but they're
less guaranteed to do what's expected of them.

                  H2 (H1 is reserved for the question)

Isn't <H3> better for (optional) small section labels?  (That's what you use
in the LDraw FAQ and it looks pretty darn good.)

More? Which attributes?

Hmm.  I can't think of any for the list above, except the obvious
<A HREF=url> and maybe <OL START=n TYPE=format>...

--Todd