 FAQ / 208
Re: Tags
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 03:38:20 GMT

In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
How about H5 or H6, then?
Heh heh.  Well, <H4> is typically the same size as the base font, but in
bold, so I don't think anything but <H3> is needed, if that even is.

SO we just reserve H1 and H2 for the parser?  I can live with that.

Parser?

As in document validation or transmogrification?

Alternatives to <H3>x</H3> might be <P><B>x</B></P> or [maybe] better yet
<P CLASS=y><B>x</B></P>...?

Is the "CLASS=y" attribute part of CSS?

Yup, but not in a bad way as long as some sort of backward-compatible non-
CSS code (such as <B></B>) were used in combination with <P></P> for section
titles.  That is, on old browsers a section title of

   <P CLASS=Section>Section Title</P>

Would show up as a normal paragraph, but a section title of

   <P CLASS=Section><B>Section Title</B></P>

would at least show up as a boldfaced line of text.  A simple CSS definition
of "P.Section" for modern browsers could further be used to render the title
in a sans-serif face and slightly larger than the body text (using a
relative font size).

Are there other reasonable alternatives to <H3>Section Title</H3>?  Having
to use <B></B> inside of <P></P> for backward compatibility is kind of
gross.

I suppose, directly allowing <H3></H3> specifically for section titles is
really a lot better than kludging up a [bad] approximation with
<P><B></B></P>.  I retract my suggestion!

--Todd