 FAQ / 82
Re: Format of FAQ items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:57:59 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Todd Lehman writes:
What about an outline format?  I made a cool little utility that displays,
in outline format, any sub-tree of the global ng tree...so from any category
sub-homepage you can see what's there beneath it -- especially handy for
things like loc groups and CAD and market and robotics, etc.  Maybe that
would be nice for the FAQ too.

You mean like a master Table of Contents?  Sure, okay.  Question"  How
cautious do we want to get about creeping featuritis?  :-,

In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
We could make finding starter questions easier by using an "expertise
level" tag, e.g.:
  Subject: Why won't LDraw work?
  Expertise-Level: Beginner
Hmm, that would work great to limit the scope of the "include."  So the
"include" mechanism could, at runtime when the FAQs are created, include
everything matching up through a specified (parameterized) threshold?

Yep.

Probably would be safer though to go with simple numeric values instead of
strings and call the header something like Topic-Depth or Topic-Level...

Oh, yeah.  Integers are better for an enumerated value.

Say, the index file could also snarf up ("include") other sub-FAQs simply by
giving their directory name -- just like you would list a filename.

If you want to write the code for it, sure.  :-,

OK, so let's see...  Since the
include mechanism is necessary (it's too juicy and useful not to have) and
since the include mechanism can do everything (and more) that the Location
mechanism did, I don't think we need the Location mechanism.

I don't agree.  The Location header is still useful in cases where Include
wouldn't be appropriate.  For example, to allow Vancouver into the Washington
state area -- you don't want to slurp Canada-specific headers into Washington
state, but you'd still want some mechanism to note the geographic proximity.

Cheers,
- jsproat