 FAQ / 186
Re: How do I format an entry in the Lugnet FAQ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 22:29:27 GMT

In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
The answer should be written so the following document is valid HTML (4.0):

Hmmm, what browsers in common use support 4.0?  Specifically, do we want to
rely on CSS?  Do we require everyone to use the latest from Netscape and
Microsoft?  I suggest we go with something more widespread, such as 3.2 or
even 2.0.

Eeek -- not 4.0 -- probably not even 3.2 -- way unnecessarily complicated.
IMO, no DTD, no nothing except a very restricted subset of HTML is really
all that is necessary.  The markup is only there at all (instead of pure
plain-text) because tools like 'lynx -dump' exist and make handling of the
markup trivial.  But it's very easy to get carried away.  Definitely do
-not- want arbitrary font control and crazy stuff like that for a FAQ, which
is supposed to be dry and standardized.  With respect to typography, <TT>
and/or <CODE> are OK though, as is <I> and a very cautious use of <B> and
sometimes <U>.

These FAQ entries should look like a book with regular text, interspersed by
an occasional table or list.  They shouldn't look like crazy web pages,
which is what allowing HTML 4.0 could degenerate into.

--Todd