 FAQ / 87
Re: Raw FAQ data format (Was: Format of FAQ items)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:03:58 GMT

In lugnet.faq, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:
Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) and Sproaticus
(jsproat@geocities.com) writes lots of stuff:

Guys!

It sounds like you are mixing the raw data format and the
presentation format.

I'd like to see Latin-1 as the raw data format, with conversions to the
presentation formats of:  (a) HTML for webpages and (b) Latin-1/ASCII for
text documents (i.e. news postings).

[...]

Now I have some questions and ideas:

- Should we use ASCII or Latin-1 for the content character
   set?

Is this a choice between

   (a) 7-bit ASCII with HTML entities:
          > < " & ü ®

and

   (b) 8-bit Latin-1 with no encoded characters -- directly uses:
          > < " & ü ®
?

I prefer (b) over (a) because (b) is much easier to edit, and less error
prone.  (a) is OK for seldom-used characters like ®, but clumsy for commonly
used characters like &, <, and >.  It's especially super-yucky for ".

- The content should of cause not be a full HTML document.
   I imagine something that fits into this template:
      <HTML>
       <HEAD>
        <TITLE>%Subject%</TITLE>
       <BODY>
        <H1>%Subject%</H1>
        %Content%
      </HTML>

Yes!  Way agreeing with that!  I need to be able to just "inject" little
HTML fragments on-the-fly into HTML pages.  Definitely don't want full HTML
documents in the FAQ entries -- the headers and footers and extra tag gunk
would just have to be stripped, which makes more work at both ends.

--Todd