 FAQ / 100
Re: Raw FAQ data format (Was: Format of FAQ items)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:12:13 GMT

Todd:

How is the Japanese language represented in HTML?  I seem to remember seeing
a page a few weeks ago that seemed like it used 2-byte ShiftJIS...  I'd be
shocked if they used 8-byte HTML entities.

It depends on the chosen encoding of the document. I would
expect most people^H^H^H^H^Hrogrammers to use plain 16 bit
Unicode BMP[1].

Since I am too lazy to get my computer to operate with
another character encoding (than Latin-1), I hope we can get
the Japanese, Russian, Greek, ... to translate their
document encodings to Latin-1 with numeric character
entities for storage in the FAQ.

Can we imagine any possible uses for characters above 255 that would be
useful as well as portable?  (I can't.)  If not, then there's not much sense
in allowing HTML elements or entities in the headers...just write < > & "
and >=128 characters directly.

The trademark symbol! And the new version of the ECU[2].

Play well,

Jacob

1) BMP = Basic Multilingual Plane
       = the first 65536 characters of Unicode
2) I think "ecu" sounds much better that "euro" :-(
--  E-mail:              sparre@cats.nbi.dk               --
--  Web...: <URL:http://hugin.risoe.dk/JJ_Memorial/FAQ/>  --