 FAQ / 99
Re: Working sketch of FAQ item data format
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:57:04 GMT

Sproaticus:

Here's a working sketch of the FAQ data format; the example is wrapped in
quasi-XML, to show the file's path.

Subject:          [the question]
Topic-Level:      [integer, 0 is beginner/easy/simple]
Revision:         [author, ISO date -- may repeat]
Location:         [comma-separated list of Lugnet relative URI's]
Translated-From:  [ISO 639 language code -- optional but hopedully used]
Translator:       [translator, ISO date -- optional but hopefully used
                   anyway -- may repeat]
Include:          [file to include -- optional -- may repeat]

Jacob, I nixed the Category header, since Todd can infer the category and
sub-categories by the file's location.  However, can you see any reason to
allow this as an optional header?

Not really.

Is there any reason to keep the Location header comma-separated, or should
there be one Location header per entry?

Both approaches are ok with me.

an e.g. FAQ item:

<FILE NAME="/faq/lugnet/market/auction/awareness/1.en.faq">
Subject: You mean I can get money for my old LEGO&reg;?
Location: /market/auction/,/market/,/

We need a (secondary) resource that translates the Lugnet
relative URI's to (more) meaningful text.

Aren't "/market/" and "/" implied when you write
"/market/auction/"?

Topic-Level: 0
Revision: Todd Lehman, 1996-02-19

<P>Yes, absolutely -- anything that says LEGO&reg; on it.
<P>[quote snipped]
<P>Sell your old LEGO&reg; and you will be rewarded. But don't sell
it to the first bloke who offers you $10 for it -- seek out the people
who seek what you have, and both of you are winners.
<P>A list of items Jeremy inserted for demonstration:
<UL>
<LI>Item one.
<LI>Item two.
<LI>Item five.  (Three, sir!)  Three.