 FAQ / 190
Re: Working sketch of FAQ item data format
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 01:20:21 GMT

In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
One example purpose that an exclude might serve could be saying from the top
level that everything is included by default, but the .off-topic hierarchy
is excluded by default.  That seems simpler to me than having each entry in
the .off-topic hierarchy state that it doesn't go into the root (below some
threshold).

What you're talking about sounds more like an inherited directory filter
than a header exclude.

OK, yes, that's a good way of putting it.  I guess I still don't understand
what you mean by the include mechanism for headers.  I'll have to go back
and read the threads more carefully...

Hmmm, could this be solved by placing a token file
at strategic spots in the directory structure?

Maybe; but it wouldn't allow specialized collections/packagings of arbitrary
subtrees, would it?  Hmm.  Hmm.  For example, one packaging of the data
might produce a top-level faq to be displayed from the root homepage -- it
would probably contain an outline of everything but contain little or no
off-topic stuff.  Another completely different packaging of the data -- say,
something for posting to RTL -- might include everything but nix the .off-
topic, the .admin, and the .loc trees.  There are probably lots of other
"mix & match" examples...

--Todd