 FAQ / 197
Re: Working sketch of FAQ item data format
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 15:50:08 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
I guess I still don't understand
what you mean by the include mechanism for headers.

Here's a rough sketch:

File A has these headers:

  Flarn: Gook
  Cheeseball: Snorkle
  Include: B
  Include: C

File B has these headers:

  Flarn: Gobbledegook
  Slack: Snafu
  Snarf: Quest

File C has these headers:

  Flarn: Vorlon
  Snarf: Wormy
  Queen: Keep Yourself Alive

During processing, File A will then effectively have these headers:

  Flarn: Gook                    (From File A)
  Cheeseball: Snorkle            (From File A)
  Slack: Snafu                   (From File B)
  Snarf: Quest                   (From File B)
  Queen: Keep Yourself Alive     (From File C)

The Flarn header wasn't pulled in from File B, because it was already
defined in File A.  Similarly, the Snarf header was pulled from File B, so
it was not fetched again from File C.  By changing the order of the Include
headers, you can set preference for one file's headers over the other's.

Hmmm, could this be solved by placing a token file
at strategic spots in the directory structure?
Maybe; but it wouldn't allow specialized collections/packagings of arbitrary
subtrees, would it?

No, but setting up custom index files would.

e.g. magic file Foo.Index might have the following lines:

...the FAQ produced from this file would have, in sequence, the FAQ items
from File A, File B, and File C.  We could probably increase or decrease
confusion by using yet another header "Sub-FAQ:", which means "I'm not
pulling the headers of this sub-file, but rather printing it and moving on
to the next header".  Such a header would probably only make sense in an
index file.

How about some heirarichal representation like:

  Sub-FAQ: /thisdir/A
  Sub-Section: Some Random TItle
    Sub-FAQ: /thatdir/B
    Sub-FAQ: /thatdir/overthere/C
  End-Sub-Section:

Which would be simple to parse into HTML and text.

Of course, all this is doing, is overriding the LUGNET directory structure
-- which I would prefer for the main FAQ structure.  The index file solution
would only really be viable for specialized FAQs, such as a newbie FAQ or
some such.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."