 FAQ / 97
Re: Raw FAQ data format (Was: Format of FAQ items)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:42:37 GMT

In lugnet.faq, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:
Agreed -- only &xxx; entities ought to be allowed in the headers,
IMO...  And if the content charset is Latin-1 instead of pure 7-bit
ASCII, then this can be further reduced to < > " &.

If we ban HTML _elements_ from the headers, then we don't
need to escape '<' and '>'. There has never been a need to
escape '"'.

If we want to allow numeric character references outside
Latin-1 (like '&#805;') we still have to escape ampersands.
[...]

How is the Japanese language represented in HTML?  I seem to remember seeing
a page a few weeks ago that seemed like it used 2-byte ShiftJIS...  I'd be
shocked if they used 8-byte HTML entities.

Can we imagine any possible uses for characters above 255 that would be
useful as well as portable?  (I can't.)  If not, then there's not much sense
in allowing HTML elements or entities in the headers...just write < > & "
and >=128 characters directly.

--Todd