 FAQ / 76
Re: FAQ data format possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:16:26 GMT

In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Please see my comment regarding an index file title.en.faq :

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.faq:70

OK, I'll tag that for responding to.

(The actual name of the file is unimportant.)  You could then have
title.fr.faq , title.es.faq , etc.  (I think I now prefer "index" over
"title" in the filename.)

I like index.* over title.* too.

It's funny how close and how far from your original plans for LUGNET you
are getting.

The funny thing to me is the strange and unpredictable sequence that things
have been unfolding in.  It's not that it's got a life of its own which is
not under any of our control to choose the sequencing, but that every step
requires revisiting and reevaluating priorities and choosing the next step.
Also helps the design/architecture to be doing many things in parallel.

You're going more and more towards a Yahoo! model

Yup; touch it, love it.  :)

(But it's actually going to be more like Yahoo! meets DejaNews meets the
Internet Movie Database meets the Fibblesnork LEGO Guide meets Amazon.com
meets eBay meets AucZILLA -- the best features of each all rolled into one
and interwoven to a degree never before seen.)

(and let's hope they don't patent it :-),

Not worried about that!  :)  Can't patent something once it's publicly on
display or released.  Doubt they filed a patent on it back in 1994.  The
look & feel would probably fall under copyright anyway, and they've already
let countless people imitate it.  Anyway, the Yahoo! model isn't really the
Yahoo! model -- long before Yahoo! it was the Gopher model, and long before
that (probably the late 60's) it was probably invented at MIT or Stanford.
:)  It's basically just a hierarchical DB with non-fuzzy cross-refs.

but you're still working within a roadway metaphor.

Somewhat, yes, in that "lane" metaphor I just mentioned.  We'll still have
roads and maps and houses and things when the time is right.  Have to lay
the foundation for that first with the new hierarchical system (didn't
realize until ~3 months ago that going hierarchical would open so many
important doors and make much more possible than originally hoped).

They point to both, but since every newsgroup (no exceptions) gets
its own associated URI/URL, the URI/URL notation is a superset of the
ng-name notation.  So it's not necessary to allow ng names per se.

Except that a location specifically marked as a newsgroup can be given
the "news:" URL tag when converted to HTML.  Then again, you probably
have a way to detect the presense of a similarly-named newsgroup on the
fly, and so handle it appropriately...

Yup!  There is a flag inside the Group object which says whether or not it
has a newsgroup associated with it.  (Actually, it gives the name of the ng,
which, if it's the null string, means that there isn't one.)

--Todd