 FAQ / 66
Re: FAQ data format possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:03:59 GMT

Todd,

I read your post just after I put up my own.  Ships in the night.  :-P

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
BTW, something like this would be nice for a file structure:
   .../faq/lugnet/market/auction/awareness/1.en.faq
   .../faq/lugnet/market/auction/awareness/2.en.faq

'Kay, I hadn't thought of that.  I like it; the only real drawback I can see
to this is how to phrase the category titles; e.g. translating:

  /faq/lugnet/market/auction/awareness/1.en.faq

to:

  FAQ -> LUGNET -> The Market -> Auctions -> Awareness ->
    You mean I can get money for my old LEGO®?

or even to:

  LUGNET FAQ
    Document 7: The Market
      Chapter 7.2: Auctions
        Section 7.2.1: Awareness
          Question 7.2.1.1: You mean I can get money for my old LEGO®?

I suppose an extra file would need to exist in the directory, with the
directory's title.

Advantages of this file structure:

Good points.  I am convinced.  Hey, the search engine could have a
Yahoo!-style feel to it.

Which raises the question:  Where does the FAQ end and the rest of LUGNET
begin?

It may be
useful to be able to limit the hierarchical range of Q&A pairs.
[...]
   Newsgroups: lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos,lugnet.loc.us.ma
      [specifies levels 5 and 4 only]

Well, yeah.  I'm likening it unto the Bindery Context on an NDS server.  I
guess a search path would also follow the paradigm.  Essentially, we're
mapping portions of a heirarchy into a flat directory.

Alternatively, the URI of the ng/resource could be used instead of an ng
name, i.e.:
   Locations: /loc/us/ma/bos/, /loc/us/ma/

This really depends upon what direction you'll take with the ng organization
in the future.  Do these items point to newsgroups, or to category pages on
LUGNET?  Perhaps to both, e.g.

  Locations: lugnet.market.auction,/market/auction/,/market/

A bonus with the URI approach is that subcategories can be encoded directly
into the location!  :)
[...]
If the subcategory actually exists as a defined webpage subsection, then the
Q&A pair would appear there on that page as well as higher pages.

This would solve the naming problem I described above.

The FAQ Q&A pairs then also help plan and organize substructures of areas.
Wherever lots of information goes, substructures arise.  Wherever
substructures arise, subcategories can be considered and planned.

Hmmm...  Are you actually *looking* for more work, Todd?  :-,

If HTML is allowed in the core content, then I think it ought to be highly
restrictive HTML, with strict usage rules.
[...]
Just the
basic necessities:  paragraphs, italics (for names/citations), boldface (so
long as it's not abused), preformatted text, and of course hyperlinks.
I have routines to convert HTML entities like ü and ® to ISO-8859-1
ASCII and back, and a routine to line-wrap arbitrary paragraphs of text, so
handling <P>, <I>, <B>, <PRE>, and <A> would be pretty straightforward.

Sounds okay.  Should these be escaped, or would your parser watch out for
them?

I suppose that each ng or each Q&A pair will need its own "default" or
"home" language -- that is, something stating in which language the "master
copy" of the Q&A pair is originally written, and from which all other-
language translations are derived (for that Q&A pair).

This could make compiling the FAQ items more difficult.  As elitist as it
sounds, I think I would prefer the FAQ items -- even items specific to
non-U.S. localities -- to begin with English.  At least for the start.

We wouldn't want to
see circular results like what happened to Mark Twain's
_The_Jumping_Frog_[1].

You realize, of course, I have to go read the story again now.  Good thing
you referred to Twain instead of, oh say, Danielle Steele.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."

obconspiracy:  Radio Free Japan strives with a gang of hypothetical
undertalented rock musicians to play annoying music at Venus, against the
wishes of Steve Jackson Games, in order to take advantage of the boom box
problem at Alabama.