 FAQ / 73
Re: FAQ data format possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:04:28 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
I've got a mechanism for this for the ng names so that, for example, "sf" is
displayed as "San Francisco" -- but it isn't internationalized yet.  Not
sure how to handle subcategory names in the FAQ for virtual subcategories
that don't yet exist, but I'll figure something out.

Please see my comment regarding an index file title.en.faq :

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.faq:70

(The actual name of the file is unimportant.)  You could then have
title.fr.faq , title.es.faq , etc.  (I think I now prefer "index" over
"title" in the filename.)

It's like you're
driving down the freeway and you get to choose whether to drive in the FAQ
lane or the newsgroup lane, and you can switch lanes at any time as you pass
by cities and towns named CAD, Robotics, Market, Local, etc.

It's funny how close and how far from your original plans for LUGNET you are
getting.  You're going more and more towards a Yahoo! model (and let's hope
they don't patent it :-), but you're still working within a roadway
metaphor.

They point to both, but since every newsgroup (no exceptions) gets its own
associated URI/URL, the URI/URL notation is a superset of the ng-name
notation.  So it's not necessary to allow ng names per se.

Except that a location specifically marked as a newsgroup can be given the
"news:" URL tag when converted to HTML.  Then again, you probably have a way
to detect the presense of a similarly-named newsgroup on the fly, and so
handle it appropriately...

Since
English can't be the master language for every single item (maybe 98%
though) there ought to be a "originating language for this item" designator.

Aside from bookkeeping purposes (and tracking possible localization bugs),
what would this tag provide?  Actually, I just answered my own question.
:-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."

obconspiracy:  Steve Jackson Games, in order to cause your neighbor to write
books on Tantric methodologies, will stop at nothing to sell cookies to the
Gap.