 FAQ / 59
Re: I'll volunteer for the LEGO FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 06:13:36 GMT

In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
"G. Crisp" wrote:
Beaker was working on one, but he changed jobs or something and could
no longer spend the time.  It was suggested that he post what he had
done here and we could all work on it together.  Want to take the
challenge?  If you have some material, post it here and we can get
this puppy going!

Thanks for starting the ball rolling again, Greg!

Sure, I'm up for the challenge, at least to get it off the ground.

That's what we need most right now.  :)  Anything you can do to help would
be appreciated by all.

But don't work in a cave.  :)  Stay in touch, rub shoulders, flood the group
(this FAQ group) with ideas.

This newsgroup was created especially for holding these types of FAQ format
design discussions, and nothing related to it is too obscure or esoteric to
discuss at this point.

   lugnet.faq (group):
      Discussions and collaboration on FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
      lists for LEGO-related newsgroups and/or mailing lists; design and
      implementation discussions for unified multi/meta-FAQ; discussions
      related to FAQ additions/deletions/corrections.

But more important than the format right now is just getting data together
as a big list of questions & answers.  The format discussions can go on as a
background thread.

I'm seriously psyched on this, I can put the time into it right now,
and I think it'd be loads of fun.  Also, I learned a lot about how to
and how *not* to build one with the GNU Pilot SDK FAQ.  :-P  I'm not
co much concerned with getting it into a perldbm form as I am about
getting content up and available to the general public.  I feel the
format of the FAQ should be generic enough to facilitate its migration
into a more sophisticated database later.

Yeah, I'd say start simple.  Maybe it belongs as XML or something later.

Definitely think it should be text-based and not rely on any kind of DB
format or code for storage.  These days, large bodies of text (say, 2 to 50
megabytes) are very easy/fast to process and munge up into other forms.

Doesn't need to be super-complex.  Something similar to SMTP or NNTP headers
probably would work great.

For example, maybe one file for each question, formatted like so: