 Color / 1377
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 02:25:04 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:

  1. More attractive hues which better match other LEGO colours

Are you sure your eyes are working correctly? The vast majority of the LEGO color palette has a warm tone to it, including “primary” blue, a color which is traditionally supposed to be the far extreme of the cool palette. The bleys have a very distinct and unusual (for LEGO parts) cool tone that actually clashes with all but a handful of colors. The only shades I’ve been able to find that work well with it are black (black works with everything), dark-blue, dark-purple, sand blue, sand-purple, sand-green, and trans-dark-blue (one of the lighter trans-blues has a greyish tone to it, so that’d probably work as well, but the other trans-blue is almost aqua). Oh, and with each other. Even dark-green has a warm tone to it that looks a bit off with dark-bley.

And Tan. And all the blues. And Dark Red. And it works fine in Technic models with Yellow, Red, White, etc. Actually, I like the new Aquaraiders sets, and they use a variety of colors with Bley, and nothing really clashes.

(I’ve seen lots of posts about bley being a poor choice for rocks, and I have to say that’s a local preference. Around here- Pike’s Peak region- granite is pink. PINK! Sometimes greyish pink, sometimes pink with little black flecks. But it isn’t any flavor of grey, except maybe pinkish grey. What if Lego had decided that modeling rocks was important?)

   See, I’ve noticed that the only time that the bleys really look good is when you’re in a store (usually TRU) and you’re looking at the in-store displays. Under cool-white flourescent lighting. Which no sane person lights their home with. Because it’s the most obnoxiously irritating light

More and more people will be using Compact Fluorescents. It may not be as crazy as you think. I switched recently, and I think I like them.