 Color / 1416
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 06:41:11 GMT

In lugnet.color, Timothy P. Smith wrote:
   It’s been mentioned that there are great new parts that are only available in new colors. I think one obvious new part is the infra-red remote stuff coming out this summer.

Eh, I don’t know that those will end up being as big a deal as the 1x1 tile-slope and the array of new wings and wedges have been. The tile-slope specifically forced the color of my Dodge Tomahawk, as I needed several of them to complete it. Fortunately, knowing that from the start, I was able to carefully work only with parts that I knew for certain were available in light-bley (I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to get two light-bley phone handsets at the time, though). Mostly. I ended up having to use that new silvertone color for the handlebars and two tooth-plates, and I purposefully chose to use chrome grille tiles for the cylinder heads (those being the only large sections of polished metal on an otherwise largely brushed-aluminum construction). Oh, and obviously the tires, head/tail lights, and rider aren’t bley.

However, if I have the option of going with either color, it’s the classic greys every time.

   Is there anybody who would want it- but won’t buy it because of the color? And/or, is there anybody that has resisted new sets, but will be buying those? Or resisted up until Cafe Corner, or some other specific set?

I have found that, as I expected, my purchase of new sets has dropped off dramatically, but not entirely. I mostly just buy for the models, though, and resort to Bricklink for MOC construction, which sounds like a pretty typical result, and entirely not what TLC would have ever been hoping to see happen when they initiated the change. But, as they told us repeatedly, there’s no going back. Anyways, at this point, I wish they’d just nail down their QC on some of the less common new colors, like dark-purple and dark-red.