 Color / 1406
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 12:25:44 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Laswell wrote:
   Hey, disagree if you want, but it’s clear from your “counter-arguement” that you misunderstood me. My belief is that the bley change was done specifically to enhance the visual “pop” of the colors within a mass retail environment, such as a toy store. In other words, so that parents would actually be more likely to buy them based on what they see in the stores, not less, as you seem to believe was my stance. As much as I prefer the greys, I do realize that under cool-white flourescent lighting in particular, they do look very aged compared to the non-grey colors, and that’s with brand-new parts.

And I think this argument is crap. I’d be incredibly surprised if the new bley colors in display pieces made any more than a tiny fraction of a percentage difference in parental purchasing (and probably none at all when a child decides). Considering that more and more people are buying Lego online these days, and many stores have no display pieces whatsoever (I can’t think of a single one I’ve seen in a Walmart, Target, etc. recently), I can’t think of any management that would consider this reason worthwhile. It is more likely, IMO, that the old shades were a bit more expensive to produce or the new shades are cheaper to produce; the studies done with children was probably just to see whether or not they liked the colors less than the old. If they had liked them less than the old, they probably wouldn’t have changed it.

Jeff