 Color / 1387
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 17:25:55 GMT

In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I’d like to see some sort of citation or evidence for this. Isodomos has a very comprehensive colour guide so perhaps rather than just accusing people of having malfunctioning eyes you can back your argument up with some evidence.

Well, when I was doing theatre lighting work, I was one of the few people who could color-match Rosco gels by eye. Maybe I just have an unusually well-developed eye for colors. Regardless, take a blue brick to an art store and compare it to the Primary Blue on a color wheel. See for yourself. Or take it to a paint shop that can color-match any sample, see if they can give you a readout of the color spectrum involved, and have someone who really understands the numbers side of color theory explain what it means to you.

   Plus the ones Tim listed and I find they work just as well as the old colours with the whole range apart from yellows and yellowed white (but perfectly fine with fresh white).

Um, you mean fresh off-white. White ABS is never truly white. It’s impossible. Raw ABS has a somewhat milky-tan color that will necessarily skew white a bit towards brown, which is a warm color. I worked nearly six years for an ABS thermoforming company, and one of the customers had some silly scheme that they thought they could save money on by using unpigmented ABS since they were just going to paint it after delivery (ironically, or perhaps not, the entire board of directors ended up being fired for gross mismanagement of the company), so I have actually seen what it looks like. It’s possible that the intended colors, as defined by the pigments used, do not have a warm tone to them, but the plastic that they mold into parts does.

   Actually huge amounts of sane people light their homes with these. They’re an environmentally preferable choice, last longer and use less power per brightness level.

No, people light their homes with ergo-friendly compact flourescent bulbs (BTW, flourescent bulbs are much less environmentally friendly than incandescents when it comes to disposal, so whether or not they are environmentally friendly is moot). Bulbs that have been specially tuned to not irritate the heck out of the human eye. Cool-white flourescent bulbs are industrial lighting. They are the dirt-cheapest of the dirt-cheap options, they only emit light in a few isolated spikes through the color spectrum, and they are known to cause many people to develop headaches because of this. There are dozens of vastly superior options out there, including flourescent bulbs that run in the warm range, others that match true daylight, still others that are designed to help plants grow faster, and even still others that are designed to be beneficial to various aquarium-pets. But no sane person lights their home with cool-white flourescent bulbs.

   Considering that it is very rare that people will actually see real Lego bricks while purchasing Lego I find this an odd theory but YMMV.

Rare? Every local Toys”R”Us has at least five display boxes set up right now (I’ve seen boxes for BIONICLE, Star Wars, Batman, Exo-Force, Aquaraiders, and Ferrari recently, plus maybe a few others that I can’t recall right now), and they have a larger selection of sets than any other nation-wide brick-n-mortar retailer. I’d say that these days it’s becoming less common that people won’t have seen any real LEGO bricks while shopping for LEGO sets (purchasing them is a bit different, since they keep the display boxes in the LEGO aisle, not the checkout counters, and there’s also no guarantee that anyone who peruses the TRU LEGO aisle won’t just end up buying the sets elsewhere).