 Color / 1413
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 03:36:18 GMT

In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I don’t need to prove anything. My initial statement was obviously a statement of my opinion and I didn’t try to dress it up in some form of ‘theory’. Since you did try to dress your opinion up you should provide evidence for it. That’s how theory works.

“My reasons are as follows: ...More attractive hues which better match other LEGO colours”

Looks like a statement of (supposed) fact to me. So, you presented it as fact. You demanded evidence when I informed you that you were wrong. You don’t feel obligated to provide proof for your stance? Fine. You don’t want to believe my statement without official documents and doctoral thesises? Fine.

Pot. Kettle. Black. If my failure to have proof ready and waiting to present means that my stance is wrong, simple arithmetic says exactly the same thing about your stance.

   So you’re now saying that cool-white varies? Interesting.

It’s a known and accepted fact that it is impossible, no matter how careful you are, to maintain a perfect zero-variance manufacturing process when it comes to chemical mixtures. Paint is always coded by batch for industrial purposes so painters can avoid using two different batches on the same piece, because doing so would result in an obvious color shift where the two batches meet. Flourescent lights use a chemical coating on the inside of the tube as the actual light source, and there will necessarily be a variance from one batch of that chemical to the next, as well as from one manufacturer to the next (and who knows if the length, diameter, or shape of the tube has any further impact on the specific spectrometry of the “cool-white” style). The same likely holds true for the glass, as not all glass is made from raw materials that have even gathered from the same part of the world, and each source of materials will include a different array of impurities. But that is the legacy style of flourescent light tube, and there is a much greater likelihood of seeing a significant visual difference between two New York strip steaks than there is of seeing one between two cool-white flourescent lights.

And next time, please try to not be so confrontational. It’s almost like you’re trying to goad me into lashing out at you or something.