 Color / 1390
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 18:00:38 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I’d like to see some sort of citation or evidence for this. Isodomos has a very comprehensive colour guide so perhaps rather than just accusing people of having malfunctioning eyes you can back your argument up with some evidence.

Well, when I was doing theatre lighting work, I was one of the few people who could color-match Rosco gels by eye. Maybe I just have an unusually well-developed eye for colors. Regardless, take a blue brick to an art store and compare it to the Primary Blue on a color wheel. See for yourself. Or take it to a paint shop that can color-match any sample, see if they can give you a readout of the color spectrum involved, and have someone who really understands the numbers side of color theory explain what it means to you.

I think you misunderstood my request. I wanted evidence, not a description of your ability to match gels in theater work.

From your response it seems to me that you have a bare minimum knowledge of colour theory which you’re twisting to suit your purposes. I’d be happy to be proved wrong but your refusal to demonstrate any real knowledge in this response suggests I may have to wait a while. I’ve been looking through colour theory tutorials and other resources and I’m yet to find much about cool and warm colours except a suggestion that they are old-fashioned and outdated as a concept.

   Plus the ones Tim listed and I find they work just as well as the old colours with the whole range apart from yellows and yellowed white (but perfectly fine with fresh white).

Um, you mean fresh off-white. White ABS is never truly white.

Considering that I have sat around tweaking rendering settings I’m well aware of this. I’ll rephrase it for you and hope you will maintain the same high standards in subsequent descriptions of colour. “(but perfectly fine with fresh off-white with the pantone colour CoolGrey1C or the RGB triplet 242/355,243/255,242/255)”

   It’s impossible. Raw ABS has a somewhat milky-tan color that will necessarily skew white a bit towards brown, which is a warm color. I worked nearly six years for an ABS thermoforming company, and one of the customers had some silly scheme that they thought they could save money on by using unpigmented ABS since they were just going to paint it after delivery (ironically, or perhaps not, the entire board of directors ended up being fired for gross mismanagement of the company), so I have actually seen what it looks like. It’s possible that the intended colors, as defined by the pigments used, do not have a warm tone to them, but the plastic that they mold into parts does.

And your point is what?

   Actually huge amounts of sane people light their homes with these. They’re an environmentally preferable choice, last longer and use less power per brightness level.

No, people light their homes with ergo-friendly compact flourescent bulbs
--snip--

Fair enough. I missed the cool-white bit.

   Considering that it is very rare that people will actually see real Lego bricks while purchasing Lego I find this an odd theory but YMMV.

Rare? Every local Toys”R”Us has at least five display boxes set up right now (I’ve seen boxes for BIONICLE, Star Wars, Batman, Exo-Force, Aquaraiders, and Ferrari recently, plus maybe a few others that I can’t recall right now), --snip--

Do you mean the bricks contained in a translucent plastic box with coloured background imagery and usually its own lighting or models sitting out for the children to handle? Because if it’s the former I’m sure you’ll understand with your excellent grasp of colour theory that the external store lighting probably has minimal effect on what you see through the plastic.

Tim