 Color / 1402
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 09:31:02 GMT

In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I think you misunderstood my request. I wanted evidence, not a description of your ability to match gels in theater work.

It has been a few years since I was actively working in theatrical lighting, I don’t have ready access to my lighting design texts, I don’t have the color temperature chart memorized, and I don’t have access to any type of spectroscope. I can’t tell you the specific color temperature of the basic LEGO blue color, but I can tell you that it’s not primary blue. I also can’t tell you if the pantone values of the official LEGO colors account for the milky tan tint that natural ABS has, or if they are just the color values of the pigments before they are added to the plastic resin. So how about you prove to me that the bleys do look better with the majority of the LEGO color palette, particularly to someone who is not red-green colorblind, such as myself. Or follow my suggestion and take a blue brick to a paint store that can do color-matching, and have them give you the results. That way you could know for sure that I wasn’t falsifying the results just to “suit my purposes”.

   Considering that I have sat around tweaking rendering settings I’m well aware of this. I’ll rephrase it for you and hope you will maintain the same high standards in subsequent descriptions of colour. “(but perfectly fine with fresh off-white with the pantone colour CoolGrey1C or the RGB triplet 242/355,243/255,242/255)”

Now, have you verified that this is accurate over a wide range of monitors, or are you just going by how it appears on your own? Is your monitor accurately tuned in, or does it lean towards the blue as is very common with computer monitors? Because, frankly, I’ve never noticed any greenish tint to LEGO white, as your numbers seem to suggest you do. But maybe that’s an issue with your red-green colorblindness.

   Do you mean the bricks contained in a translucent plastic box with coloured background imagery and usually its own lighting or models sitting out for the children to handle? Because if it’s the former I’m sure you’ll understand with your excellent grasp of colour theory that the external store lighting probably has minimal effect on what you see through the plastic.

I’m sure you’re aware that acrylic is an optically clear plastic, and therefore WYSIWYG. The display box covers do not change the look of the plastic at all, excepting that the corners and edges will necessarily cast shadows that would not be present in an uncovered display, and any curved sections will distort the light as it passes through. And since many of these display boxes do not have any places to install lighting fixtures (being that they just have a clear canopy mounted over them, and they’re sitting on the top shelf of the stack), in-store lighting is the only source of lighting that could possibly affect the look of the plastic. But if you think the look of the plastic is so significantly changed, take a light-grey brick and a light-bley brick with you the next time you go peruse a LEGO aisle and see what they look like in the open. And even if they do have built-in lighting fixtures, it’s very likely that they are also cool-white flourescents, and therefore should be nearly, if not exactly, the same color spectrum as the in-store lighting, depending of course on the manufacturer.