 Color / 1381
Re: Why do you love bley?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 11:01:54 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:

  1. More attractive hues which better match other LEGO colours

Are you sure your eyes are working correctly?

Actually I’m quite sure they are not but I still think bley looks better and as far as I know it doesn’t fit in the range of error for my eyes.

   The vast majority of the LEGO color palette has a warm tone to it, including “primary” blue, a color which is traditionally supposed to be the far extreme of the cool palette.

I’d like to see some sort of citation or evidence for this. Isodomos has a very comprehensive colour guide so perhaps rather than just accusing people of having malfunctioning eyes you can back your argument up with some evidence.

   The bleys have a very distinct and unusual (for LEGO parts) cool tone that actually clashes with all but a handful of colors. The only shades I’ve been able to find that work well with it are black (black works with everything), dark-blue, dark-purple, sand blue, sand-purple, sand-green, and trans-dark-blue (one of the lighter trans-blues has a greyish tone to it, so that’d probably work as well, but the other trans-blue is almost aqua). Oh, and with each other. Even dark-green has a warm tone to it that looks a bit off with dark-bley.

Plus the ones Tim listed and I find they work just as well as the old colours with the whole range apart from yellows and yellowed white (but perfectly fine with fresh white).

   Now, I’ll admit that the bleys do have their uses (I recently finished building a Dodge Tomahawk almost entirely in light-bley because I needed to use the tile-slope extensively throughout, and light-bley can be used effectively to represent newly paved roads next to the more weathered-concrete look of light-grey), but that will never suddenly make them fit well with the rest of the warm-centric LEGO color palette, except in one circumstance.

See, I’ve noticed that the only time that the bleys really look good is when you’re in a store (usually TRU) and you’re looking at the in-store displays. Under cool-white flourescent lighting. Which no sane person lights their home with.

Actually huge amounts of sane people light their homes with these. They’re an environmentally preferable choice, last longer and use less power per brightness level.

   Because it’s the most obnoxiously irritating light source you can possibly use short of a malfunctioning arc-light. I’m fairly convinced at this point that any alleged marketing groups were shown the colors under cool-white flourescents, and that the goal was to make them have more visual pop in the store even though it would necessarily mean that they suffered visually in the homes of 99.9999% of their viable customer base.

Considering that it is very rare that people will actually see real Lego bricks while purchasing Lego I find this an odd theory but YMMV.

Tim