 CAD / *34425 (-100)
  Re: happy easter

Great MOC, but something tells me that HDRI is just not ready for primetime. I wonder how that same scene would look using Radiosity? "Vince" <Vincent05@gmx.de> wrote in message news:Hvz3GJ.1Krn@lugnet.com... (...) bit and (...) 2:30 (...) because (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  happy easter

Hi everyone, I just finished my latest picture. I modified the old .ldr file a little bit and corrected some mistakes I found. I hope you enjoy the picture. It took 2:30 hours to render this picture in 1600 x 1200. I didn't use Stud logos because of (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  New POV-Ray locomotive

I have generated a rendering of my SD40-2 in a snow storm at night. The snow was created from POV-Ray code that I found on Paul T. Dawson's web page. There is a link to Paul's site on my site. I used the media and media attenuation to get the (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad, lugnet.trains)

  Steering Committee candidate Willy Tschager - backgrounder and position statement

Hi folks, is it my turn? Looks like. Okay then: I've been an LDraw user since 1999 and became deeper involved with the community when I started betatesting MLCad on a regular basis. The passage from pure bug-hunting to part-authoring occurred in (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: HDRI and radiosity (part 2)

(...) Hi Jeroen, did you update the colors in your zip-files? I just looked at your site but the archives seem to be the old ones... Sven (21 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Issues with a Few Parts on the Tracker

(...) Thanks for this information - I have now removed the leading "_" to make this appear as a true part. Chris (21 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Greatsword in Color Other Than Silver?

(...) The golden greatsword was the treasure in one of the adventurers/orient expedition sets. Hmm...this one: (URL) sets in that subtheme had different treasures in gold: a shield in the Scorpion Palace, a helm in the Dragon Fortress. Hmm, I don't (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Greatsword in Color Other Than Silver?

(...) It's one of the Oriental Adventures sets. Ummm...Checking Peeron... This one: [LEGOSet 7417] 7417 Temple of Mount Everest -Orion (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, FTX)

  Re: Greatsword in Color Other Than Silver?

(...) I've never seen it in Gold; I've *always* seen it in Silver. Which set contains one of these in Gold (or whatever other color)? Franklin (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Steering Committee candidate Anders Isaksson - backgrounder and position statement

Oh well, I suppose one has to write something... This is me, (URL) been on the outskirts of the LDRAW community since before lugnet (the LCAD list). Not very active, but always actively following all that's happening. I have not created any official (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Issues with a Few Parts on the Tracker

(...) I believe it's being added in step 2 here: (URL) that later rigging can be run through the holes (URL) TWS Garrison (URL) capital letters in address for direct reply. (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) I, Anders Isaksson, accept this nomination. -- Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Issues with a Few Parts on the Tracker

(...) This part has a bad history. Originally 122.dat was used for the combo part of the base and the wheels. To maintain backward compatibility when this was changed to 122c01.dat, 122.dat became a "~Moved to" file. So now we cannot go back and use (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Three Cheers for the Admins!!!

I just wanted to give a great big public "THANK YOU!!!" to Steve and Chris, for reviewing *SEVERAL* ***HUNDRED*** FILES in the past few days. [1] HUZZAH!!! :D Franklin 1. "(URL) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw) !

  Numbers Report - 9 April 2004

Stats for Unofficial Files 372 certified files. 196 files need admin review. 365 files need more votes. 437 have uncertified subfiles. 184 held files. Total Files: 1,554 Comparison with Prev. Report: 2004-04-09: 372 / 196 / 365 / 437 / 184 (1,554) (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) I, James Reynolds, second this nomination. James (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

Larry pointed out a spelling error in my last attempt at this nomination so I'll try again. Also, I'm cross posting to the Mac subgroup so maybe this'll be seen by the interested parties. Anyhow... I Don Heyse nominate Andrew Allan. (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) Hi Willy, hi René, after a month I found out that I you nominated me as a candidate for the LSC. In the moment I have to decline this nomination. I'm not able to do the job of a committee member. But thank's for the faith in me. CU Bernd (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  BrickFest DC 2004: Looking for LDraw Sessions and Expo Coordinator

This year I cannot spare the time to coordinate LDraw efforts at BrickFest DC 2004. Orion and I will both be in Los Angeles for SIGGRAPH the entire week before the event [1], and arriving Friday morning. That means, both of us will miss Thursday (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) I, Kevin Clague, accept this nomination. (21 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Issues with a Few Parts on the Tracker

I'm not a reviwer, so I have to post my issues here. Part 422 (URL) just confuses me. Why is is 422? It's the base part of 122c01 and 122c02; since the other component of those parts is part 20, wouldn't this part be 122? Also, the title is weird; (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: LDraw.org Steering Committee Candidates - A summary

(...) Please email me with the details of corrections, as I asked in the original post and in the post you're responding to, right above where you posted a correction. I'd prefer that people not clutter up the thread with corrections, thanks. (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw.org Steering Committee Candidates - A summary

Larry Pieniazek wrote: [ (URL) ] (...) It appears that you somehow mixed up Anders Isaksson and Kevin L. Clague. Jacob (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw.org Steering Committee Candidates - A summary

(...) Well, as it turns out, posting this article and announcing it here kicked off a flurry of corrections, acceptances, declines, and new nominations. (all which have been to the proper thread, don't post them HERE!) :-) ... which I sort of (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) I have been reminded that this is not the proper expression [1], so I try again: I second this nomination. Jacob [1] Hi Larry. :-) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) I support this nomination. Jacob (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) I accept my nomination as a LDraw.org Steering Committee candidate. Jacob (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) I, Mike Thorn, second this nomination. (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  (canceled)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

I Don Heyse nominate Anders Isaksson. (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

I Don Heyse, nominate Kevin L. Clague. (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Call for Nominations to LDraw.org Steering Committee

(...) Uh oh, I forgot about this. Thanks for the nomination, but I'm gonna have to decline. I don't think I have enough time to handle the responsibilities. Besides, you probably don't want me right now. With the color change and all, I've been much (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Snatch it?

(...) before I started this thread I also tried to make my way through the message board but without any success. I even sent a mail to the guy how translated MLCad into japanese asking if he could post my message in an japanese lugnet if there is, (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP

(...) I'm pretty sure there are lots of programs distributed with a bunch of standard plugins. Maybe you should consider distributing several standard plugins with LDDPinstall.exe, or perhaps make a plugin bundle with everything, or is that what the (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP

(...) You make some good points. I'll consider splitting it back out. -Orion -- We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing -George Bernard Shaw (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP

(...) But wait! I'm not quite sure I understand. What's the advantage of incorporating the bendible object generator code into LDDP instead of developing it independently as a plugin? As a plugin, you could update it without having to rerelease a (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP

(...) I think I understand... So, the earlier version of LDDP (which utilized the bendible objects creator plug-in) generated a preview because the plug-in polled LDGLite (or vice versa), correct? That would be a handy feature in a future version of (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP

(...) You're right it is incorporated. I just wanted to make sure you were using the most current version instead of v1.4 with the plugin that's installed from the "Virtual Lego" book CD. LDGLite (or any other renderer for that matter) doesn't work (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  LDraw.org Steering Committee Candidates - A summary

Hi all.. The flow of nominations, seconds and acceptances (that is, posts in (URL) this> thread) has slowed down considerably, and the election is coming up sooner than you might think. So I thought it might be a good idea for the LDraw.org site to (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX) !!

  Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP

(...) Orion, Running LDDP 1.54. Using the bendable objects generator under the "process" menu. I believe it's incorporated, not a separate plug-in. Steve (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP

(...) Steve, Thanks for using LDDP. My question is: are you using the bendible objects generator plugin? If not which version of LDDP are you running? -Orion (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Using LDGLite inside LDDP

Need some help with this... I've managed to get LDGLite to work standalone (i.e. viewing parts within LDRAW\Parts directory). I seem to be encountering some difficulty using it inside LDDP. (I'm trying to get a preview within the bendable objects (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: 6-stud road baseplates with dark grey road pattern parts

(...) Its specific to these road plates really. I started with the curved one. The outer dashed line has 20 dashes which gives rise to 41 segments. The central white line only has 21 segments as does the inner dashed line. With 7 quarter rings to (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: 6-stud road baseplates with dark grey road pattern parts

(...) Is this generally applicable to doing other printed baseplates? Can you share that spread publicly, perhaps on a website somewhere? It seems a nifty thing. Thanks for your efforts! (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: POV settings

(...) That's a great idea! I've never played around to much with the color definitions, and I imagine that they'd go a long way toward improving image quality. I never would have thought of the camera-location light_source. That might be just the (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: POV settings

Another thing may be that your models are mainly black. Black is much more difficult than lighter colors, especially if it's shiny black. Your transparent parts look awfully good, for example (although a bit too clear to be real - I now remember (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: POV settings

(...) True. I think much of the difference is that mine is a 'world', and on another scale. Doing just one of the houses doesn't give the same depth experience at all. One thing that I have been using for a while now is a dim light at the *same* (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: POV settings

(...) At a glance, I'd have to say that this looks rather similar to the settings I'm using (which I stole/adapted from information discussed in this thread: (URL) If your eyes can stand to see clone MOCs, here are a few samplings: (URL) Of course, (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Snatch it?

(...) Very cool! :) Steve (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  POV settings

(...) NOTE: POVRay 3.5 assumed in the following! It's the standard colors generated by L3P, and the original radiosity ideas, but I fiddled a bit with the radiosity and other settings in the .pov-file: #declare AMB = 0; #declare DIF = 0.8; (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Snatch it?

(...) I have a friend that lives in Japan and speaks Japanese. I'll email him for help. -Orion (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) does it have to do with POV-Ray? 8^) May I ask what color palette you used, and how long it took to render? It's clear that I'll have to start working with perspective settings. Now that I've seen successful results, I won't be happy until (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Accuracy of curved surfaces

(...) I forgot to mention the radii, these are between 50 and 65 LDU. I first tried 11.25 degrees, this didn´t look round enough. Later I changed this to 3.75 degrees. Now I changed this back to 7.5 degrees, which looks good enough in L3Lab and (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Snatch it?

(...) I strongly agree with this and feel we really need to adhere to it. This case seems to be shading toward "they approved in advance" but still, it's a good policy to adhere to. I had thought that every avenue had been exhausted, and was willing (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Ran out of partnumbers again, new parts finished.

I am totaly amazed by your work and all the time and energy you must've put into it. Hope these get official soon! Thanks Niels! (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 4.5V Semaphore Signal

(...) No, the poles are glued to the baseplate. ROSCO (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  6-stud road baseplates with dark grey road pattern parts

6-stud road baseplates with dark grey road pattern parts (URL) straight (part 44336, set 4110) (URL) curve (part 44342, set 4109) (URL) junction (part 44341, set 4108) (URL) don't have the 6-stud crossroads (set 4111), so haven't modelled it, but it (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Part x224: Windscreen 8 x 6 x 2 Curved

(...) To expand on TWG's answer, LDraw.org doesn't coordinate with Peeron on unofficial part numbers. Once a file is officially released in LDraw, Peeron updates their database to use LDraw's number. There's a plan to have a coordinated numbering (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Improved minifig heads

(...) Yes, I'd say using torii when possible would be good. I don't think we need to start making fractional torus primitives to fill in gaps, but easy improvements are worth doing. To make really beautiful heads, you should model the parts directly (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Snatch it?

[Steve has a brilliant insight, and cross-posts to lugnet.loc.jp] (...) I tried to post a message on Gonta's board, but I don't think it worked (the translator wouldn't translate the posting-response page, it said there was too much text). I should (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.loc.jp)

  Re: Snatch it?

(...) Because our general approach has been that contributions to LDraw.org must be made voluntarily. We are not going to pull stuff in from people without their knowledge. However, would it help at all if we could get someone fluent in Japanese to (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: 4.5V Semaphore Signal

(...) On the real parts, do the poles separate from the baseplates? If they do separate, then this is a good solution. If they don't separate, then this isn't such a good solution -- the 'complete' part file should be just like the part you'd pull (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Accuracy of curved surfaces

(...) Generally, I create curved surfaces by using the appropriate primitives. Once I've got the primitive sized to create the surface, I inline it and clip out anything that falls outside of the desired surface. So I'd use the primitive to (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) to see your example. If I can get it to work, great! Thanks, Dave! (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Orion, there's no need to apologize! I expressed an *opinion*, not everyone has the same opinion. Sorry if you read it as criticism of *you*. That was not my intention. The 'one style fits all' is perfect for MOTM, it levels the ground for all (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) MMLLT (My Mileage Looks Like This): (URL) { location 0.84*<-1500 ,-1500 ,-4000> sky -y right -4/3*x look_at <300, -150, 1300> angle 40 rotate <0,1e-5,0> // Prevent gap between adjecent quads focal_point <150,-50,-150> aperture 25 blur_samples (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm mostly in the 5-45 range, probably depends on the model and intent of picture too. -- Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Non-orthographic perspective renderings never seem to work for me. They always look like flat, rendered with artifical perspective rather than rendered objects seen in perspective. But YMMV, of course! Dave! (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

Hello Orion Well.. i think the renders turned out great and it shows each model in a neutral way. I know it is a lot of work to do these not to mention even the time you have to put in this. I still need the authors desire to show their model in the (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  TrackDraw available for download

The TrackDraw alpha candidate v6 is now available for download at (URL) . Features and bug fixes are detailed in the Yahoo! group messages. The Yahoo! group is now open for anyone to join; no moderation required. The TrackDraw sources are available (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town) !

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Yes. (...) No. I did after all post all this once before, so it's not that I didn't WANT to share it... (...) So fix your bug already! :-) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Since you're either lazier than I am, or you have an aversion to sharing, I did the search myself and found the your Mlcad view settings. :^) (URL) -A0.71,0,0.71,0.28,0...,0.39,0.65 -v4 to ldglite and pressing F12 gives these l3p camera (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm coming around to that viewpoint as well... much easier to standardise. (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Actually the only one I use for instruction renders besides those is the "MLCad default view" which is a bit flatter (view point at a lower latitude) than the LDraw isometric view. All my POV camera angles are done purely by trial and error. (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Only if you use perspective. I think orthographic views are much more appropriate for MOTM. Don (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) What about using the standard ldlite views with the ancient -A ldraw command line option? See the ldlite documentation of ldraw.txt for details on -A. You can feed these to ldglite to quickly see which of the standard views look good for a (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Ran out of partnumbers again, new parts finished.

I have finished several new parts for ldraw, but I ran out of 3DNs again ;-) Any suggestions for better partnames are welcome. The parts I finished are: Technic Link Chain Old (URL) Train Brick 2 x 4 Holder for Sliding Wheel Block (Complete) (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

Why not a QuickTime or a Java VR. This is a really small one, but it shows what can be done. It has about 144 frames (12 side to side by 12 up and down). (URL) could be optimized by removing rendundant frames (if left side is the same as the right, (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I meant for YOU to use so that you got the right settings easily... :-) More seriously, I agree that most models should be at the same angles and so forth (except for huge models where the camera needs to pull back or whatever) but size drives (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm resistant to this. I think all the models should be rendered with the same settings. In other words, I want the settings in the file that aren't directly related to the model (camera, floor, lighting, etc) to be same across all the (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I tend to enjoy a camera angle of 55 for perspective renderings, the default (67, I think) has too much perspective. -Tim (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Well, I attempted to do that with ldglite a year or two ago: (URL) it has a few bugs, and a new L3P release with lots of handy new command line options seemed imminent at the time so I put it on the backburner. I think it should work ok to (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) A few teething problems are perhaps to be expected. Setting the latitude to 30° and the camera angle to 20 gives a reasonable view of all sides. Cheers, Allister (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: April MOTM &SOTM Contest

Orion, I can sympathize. I still feel like I'm just stumbling through POV-RAY myself. May I suggest using L3P and L3P-Add-On (in case you're not already using them)? These help me tremendously. As far as camera angles go, I almost never use a height (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I think most people won't fault you at all, the goal of a leval playing field is a very good one. MoTM should be about the models, not the renderings. I was able to decide which model I liked best nonetheless. (...) I am a total novice at this (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm well aware of my knowledge limitations regarding good camera position, settings, etc. I'm open to suggestions and/or training. I apologize for the way the renders turned out this month, I was hoping for a good start to the new format. (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

(...) Hello Mike and Orion. The ActiveX controls generate distrust, but by the moment I have not found a better method (waiting for a good implementation of opengl for java), and that occupy a space as small as 80kb. Time ago I had present the Java (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) As an entrant, I have one comment. I understand the desire to to render all models with the same setting but I think those settings need to be tweaked a bit. The default camera settings allow for a perspective effect, but at close range, they (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Naming Technic Liftarms

(...) Hi Steve!.. How is it going since we last talk? Anyway, here are the names that I use in my personal database: Technic Brick Technic Half Beam Technic Half Beam Liftarm Technic Beam Technic Beam Liftarm Technic Beam Liftarm Double-Bent Which (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Naming Technic Liftarms

(...) Two alternate thoughts (which I'm pretty sure have been mentioned before): 1. Stick with 'liftarm' for the half-width parts, and 'beam' for full-width parts. 2. Use 'liftarm' for parts with crossaxle holes, and 'beam' for parts with only (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: HDRI and radiosity (part 2)

Hi Sven/everybody, I adjusted the finish of all the colours and changed some colours completly. This (URL) is the result of the new colours. I would still advise to use some lighting, even very soft. This will give you some highlights and soft (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: new and old colours

(...) Hi Orion and Jeroen, I'm only a 'stupid' user so please help me with some things. I think I understand that the color definitions are made in the ldconfig-file. And I recognized that this file is developed and supported by ldraw.org. Some (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I've gotta agree here. It's not so much the distortion that's the problem, it's that the viewpoint is so high that you don't get a clear enough view of the sides. It's especially noticeable in (URL) this> shot. What latitude is the camera set (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Actually I was thinking about using a different rending technique every month. This month it was POV-Ray Jeroen's Radiosity Include. And I lied, next month won't be MLCad straight but LDGLite. Maybe I should post a 3-4 month outlook? -Orion (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Yes, maybe it's a good idea to use MLCad straight, but the models look *so* much better when POV:ed, it's a pity not to do it... I think a distant camera with a small angle, giving a nearly isometric view, is best if using POVRay. Of course, (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) The point is to not take the rendering into account. In fact next month I think I'll make the pictures straight from MLCad just to illustrate the fact that this contest is not about the rendering. -Orion (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Please, can the curator for .cad update the BlockCAD link?

(...) rather than to admin.general. If you ever have a question about who is the curator for a particular group or hierarchy, see the front page of admin.curators... you'll find a link there to let you look that sort of thing up. It is (URL) This (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I must say I sincerely dislike the rendering options used for MOTM. The distorted perspective caused by having the camera so close makes me want to vote *NO* to all pictures :-( Maybe I'm showing my age, but I see *nothing* cool in this kind (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: new and old colours

(...) Actually the ldconfig file is the spot where all the offical color definitions (via !COLOR statements) will be located. Ideally all the LDraw compatible programs that display colors will use this file as a source for the color attributes (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: new and old colours

Thanks Orion, but as far as I understand this only discussing making one's own custom colours and doesn't discuss adding new colour numbers to the excisting ones, that was my question. Jeroen (...) Statement: (...) the (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact