Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:

I'm well aware of my knowledge limitations regarding good camera position,
settings, etc.  I'm open to suggestions and/or training.  I apologize for the
way the renders turned out this month,

I think most people won't fault you at all, the goal of a leval playing field is
a very good one. MoTM should be about the models, not the renderings. I was able
to decide which model I liked best nonetheless.

I was hoping for a good start to the new
format.

-Orion

I am a total novice at this (I use a lot of trial and error) but I find that
using spherical coordinates to be much more helpful than the rectangular ones
for setting camera position. I use a latitude that's relatively low (say 10-15
degrees or so) and a large radius. Then I set the field of view relatively small
so that the model fills most of the image.

There are no doubt better (and less trial and errorish) ways to reduce the
perspective effect but that one works fairly well for me.

(alternatively perhaps switching to orthographic is the way to go because then
you just have to worry about the latitude and longitude and field of view
instead of the radius too??)

Hope that helps.

perhaps someone can develop an app to generate camera settings interactively by
giving you a real time rendering of the containing boxes of your models or
something as you change settings via flying the mouse around on a camera sphere
or something?

Perhaps someone did already and I didn't know it?