 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5148
Re: Naming Technic Liftarms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:48:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ross Crawford wrote:
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but the naming of the technic
liftarms leaves something to be desired. It seems mostly the thin ones have
just the dimensions, thick ones have "straight" appended. Except for the 4L
liftarms.

Bricklink decided to rename these a while back, with "thick" or "thin"
appended to them (in most cases). I think this is much better, though maybe
still not perfect.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catID=137

Can anyone think of a better naming convention for these?

Two alternate thoughts (which I'm pretty sure have been mentioned before):

1. Stick with 'liftarm' for the half-width parts, and 'beam' for full-width
parts.

2. Use 'liftarm' for parts with crossaxle holes, and 'beam' for parts with only
pegholes.

Either of these options leads to some type of confusion, either because the
'type' of the part encodes the size, or because very similar parts end up with
quite different names.

One other thought:  because of the genericness of the beam/liftarm attribute, I
tend to be careful about identifying parts as "liftarm with ...".

Steve

Hi Steve!.. How is it going since we last talk?

Anyway, here are the names that I use in my personal database:

Technic Brick
Technic Half Beam
Technic Half Beam Liftarm
Technic Beam
Technic Beam Liftarm
Technic Beam Liftarm Double-Bent

Which correspondes to which type of part is obvious I think. Hope this
helps.(though I know, I was never been succesful in changing LCAD peoples' minds
about part naming)..:-)

A big congratulations to all of you by the way. Number of parts you modeled
increased magnificnetly since I last look..:-)

Selçuk