Subject:
Steering Committee candidate Willy Tschager - backgrounder and position statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:20:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi folks,

is it my turn? Looks like. Okay then:

I've been an LDraw user since 1999 and became deeper involved with the community
when I started betatesting MLCad on a regular basis. The passage from pure
bug-hunting to part-authoring occurred in April 2002. Having experienced on my
own the limitations of not being a native English speaker, one of my aims was/is
makeing the world of LDraw more accessible to non-english-speakers. An important
step was translating MLCad into my own mother tongue or setting up my
LDraw-centered website in three languages.

Nowadays my activities are split in authoring and giving a helping hand to the
code gods betatesting their progs (being allergic to manuals I’m more that
qualified for the job). I’m also highly talented in bothering people with
foolish requests for new features ;-). I maintain the database for MLCad's
Minifig Generator and try to make my site www.holly-wood.it an entry point for
Italian and German users by providing tutorials and software add-ons. BTW, there
you'll also find a summary of my part-authoring work along with some personal
info at the "about" page.

If elected I'd like to push forward the following issues:

* Separate the basic parts package from the software in Ldraw’s base
distribution - to have to install two parts packages is surely the most critical
obstacle for newbies.

* Working closely with the LSC (LDraw Standard Committee) in order to kickstart
the Connection database.

* Lower the bar for foreign people.

* Last but not least: With LDraw-dot-org going more and more formal making sure
that our hobby doesn't get ruled too much.

w.
www.holly-wood.it