Subject:
Steering Committee Candidate Kevin Clague - backgrounder and position statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:47:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is a repost to the proper group.

I first started using LDraw and MLCAD when I finished my first successful biped
robot.  I had only one RCX, and if I was going to make anything else I was going
to have to take apart my robot.  It was easier taking it apart after knowing
that I had documented it completely.  I was bothered by the fact that I could
not put in the electric cables, just the connector.  For my second robot, I also
could not document rubber bands or chains that I used.

After making some more robots I got contacted by Syngress publishing to
co-author in some books.  I suggested we use MLCAD to create the building
instructions.  They indicated that MLCAD images were not of print quality.  This
sent me down the road of creating LPub.  I knew next to nothing about the LDraw
file format, or any philosophy behind it.  I did my best to model MLCADs
behavior with respect to steps and rotation steps.  The rest is, as they say,
history.

As Syngress' publishing needs increased, I decided to write a program to tackle
the problem of bendable and strechable parts.  Hoses and rubber bands.  I wrote
a proof of concept program called LSynth.  It has helped in my goal of being
able to do anything LEGO can do in our fan created building instructions.

Along the way I met many of the original ldraw.org folks either on-line or in
person.  There have been some bumps, but we've all worked hard to focus on what
is good for the community, and become better friends in the process.

I've been a pretty quiet member on the LSC so far, but that is because work was
insanely busy.  This has changed, and I've started getting back to LPub and
LDraw related topics.  I'm still not all caught up, but I am making forward
progress.

The LDraw community is rich and diverse.  The parts librarians are the unsung
heroes in my opinion.  The programs that I have created would be valueless
without the parts library.  The amount of work I've put in on LPub and LSynth is
minor compared to what Steve Bliss, and others, put in in a year.  The programs
and programmers get much of the glory, but the librarians should get the
spotlight IMHO.

I've authored a few unofficial parts needed for LSynth, and the new pneumatic
switch for the 8455 backhoe, but have not even made it into the parts tracker.

I believe that the LDraw community is well poised.  We've got parts, we've got
tools, and we've got momentum.  Over the last few years, the community has
gotten larger in size but smaller as a closer knit community.

I'm an engineer, not a politician, so you could expect me to focus on problems
that need to be solved, and problems that can be prevented by good vision.  You
can expect me to try to bring parties together for the common good, as politics
rear their ugly head when there is a differing of opinions. I have a lot of
respect for LDraw and its community, and consider it the Steering Committee's
job to protect its good name.

Respectfully,
Kevin