 CAD / 11283
Re: Using LDGLite inside LDDP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 02:28:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Januszko wrote:
You're right it is incorporated.  I just wanted to make sure you were using the
most current version instead of v1.4 with the plugin that's installed from the
"Virtual Lego" book CD.

LDGLite (or any other renderer for that matter) doesn't work from within LDDP.
The rendering programs run separately and poll the model text every few seconds
(how many seconds depend on what you've set the poll frequency at).  Currently
LDDP isn't set up to have these external programs poll and display the bendable
object while you are creating it.  I can, however, add this to the list of
freature requests and add implementation in a future version of LDDP.

I think I understand...  So, the earlier version of LDDP (which utilized the
bendible objects creator plug-in) generated a preview because the plug-in
polled LDGLite (or vice versa), correct?  That would be a handy feature
in a future version of LDDP, since the plug-in itself has already been
incorporated.

But wait!  I'm not quite sure I understand.  What's the advantage of
incorporating the bendible object generator code into LDDP instead of
developing it independently as a plugin?  As a plugin, you could update
it without having to rerelease a new LDDP.  As a plugin, I can run it
from *within* ldglite (via the plugin menu in ldglite) and see the results
there.  As a plugin I can even run it standalone from the command line
with tiny wrapper program.  As a built in function all those possibilities
are gone.  Why would you want to do that?  Wouldn't it be better to
simply distribute the plugin with LDDP and pretend it's built in?

You make some good points.  I'll consider splitting it back out.

-Orion

--
We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing