 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5154
Re: Snatch it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:06:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Braith Garden wrote:
Why can't someone a bit more motivated grab the ball and run with it, so to speak.

Because our general approach has been that contributions to LDraw.org must be made
voluntarily.  We are not going to pull stuff in from people without their knowledge.

I strongly agree with this and feel we really need to adhere to it. This case
seems to be shading toward "they approved in advance" but still, it's a good
policy to adhere to. I had thought that every avenue had been exhausted, and was
willing to compromise a bit, with lots of disclaimers, but you've come up with
another good approach, Steve, which ought to be exhausted first before taking
the parts, even with many disclaimers, is even considered again.

However, would it help at all if we could get someone fluent in Japanese to lend a
hand?  I see Gonta's website has links to translators, but it can still be hard to
follow & understand machine translations, especially when trying to track someone
down.  Gonta's site seems to have a discussion board (I didn't look at it).  Maybe
that would be a way to make contact?

That seems a great idea. Unfortunately I don't know anyone myself I can tap
into, most of the people that I know that speak Japanese are in a work context
(or a MegaTokyo context). Another poster in a totally unrelated thread noted
that it has traditionally been hard to build good bridges to the Japanese fan
community for whatever reason.

Any chance of success by just trying to randomly contact people via that board
if the board allows contact? or just pasting something in english with much
apologies and hoping for the best?