 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5131
Re: Snatch it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:50:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
hi folks,

there are pics. at brickshelf

using some parts which have never been submitted to the PT. this site even
contains the .dat file:

doing some former investigation I ended up at the authors website:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis-Mars/2617/

I tried to contact "Gonta" through a lugnet posting as well as e-mail asking if
he was willing to submit those parts to the PT, but I got no reply an my mails
bounced back time and again. my question is: should we snatch those parts and
put them at the PT without permission? it's a very rough code, no cond lines, no
BFC, tons of L3P errors but putting it at the PT we might find someone who is
willing to fix it.

thoughts?

Good question.

In my view, all efforts to contact the author should be taken (and it sounds
like you've been doing just that) but I am not sure that "snatching" a part,
even one that's very rough and strongly desired and really only good for a
starting point for someone else's work, is a good practice.

It would be one thing if a new author took the part privately and used it as a
basis for further work, giving full credit, but to put it in the library without
change and without the original author's permission seems somehow wrong to me.

We want to encourage authors to submit parts. Part of that encouragement is
showing them that the library will respect them and their work. "snatching"
seems to go against that. At least it feels that way to me.

It's not an easy question but that's my view. What do others think?