 Administrative / Suggestions / 313
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 17:16:57 GMT

LUGNET Admin wrote:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Koudys writes:
If there is an issue with LUGNET, and we want to discuss modifying charters,
or some other aspect of the LUGNET community, then there was a proposal a
few months back about .admin.roundtable, but no idea where that went,

admin.roundtable turned into the group you're using now, admin.suggestions.
This is the place for discussing modification of charters, etc.

I chose not to use the word 'roundtable' (even though it was an appropriate
word) because I did not want to project the impression of an elite board of
members who make decisions for everyone else.

I wouldn't have made that connotation, but then, here at IBM,
roundtables are meetings where upper management brings a bunch of peons
into the room to just have an open discussion.

BTW, So far, I'm very happy with this group. I believe people are feeling
more invited to post their ideas and concerns; and the discussion of those
ideas is staying closer on topic (though I haven't done any math).

A large motivation for my creating .suggestions was to improve efficiency
within .admin. I was unsatisfied with the tangle of policy debates,
suggestions, alerts to technical problems, complaints, and bickering all
happening in admin.general. It felt like a hostile mess for me to wade through.

It does seem to be working pretty well, and is keeping a reasonable
level of civility. I think the greatest part is that you have been
active here which is making those of us who were concerned that the
administration seemed to be vacant have no worries any more. I'm sure
that even if the volume of messages may not be any different, having
large volumes of stuff categorized to some degree makes it easier to
deal with them (hmm, I have two minutes to deal with Lugnet, anything in
lugnet.admin.general? Hmm, I have an hour or so to spend thinking, deal
with lugnet.admin.general, then dig into lugnet.admin.suggestions.).

So! That's just a longwinded way of saying: I am happy to see the
suggestions debated here.

They also really don't belong in lugnet.off-topic.debate (since they are
on topic, at least with respect to Lugnet as a community of AFOLs). And
I agree, it would leave some folks out (of course .admin is filtered by
default also, but it is easily separately filtered than .off-topic).

Frank